Pump Motor Overheating - High Amps

Yes, you can use 10 awg. (if its not bad) But if the pump is running when you get home, I suspect that you fixed your problem and that you are on the high end of current draw.

It's the amps that dictate wire size. You can run 220 on 14 AWG as long as you dont exceed 12 amps or so.

For 10 awg, that calls for a 30 amp breaker, max. For that pump at 75 feet, I'd use the 10 awg wire and a 30 amp breaker. Thats plenty of power. At the higher voltage, you wont use as much current, but the power usage will be the same as 120v.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
captjake said:
Sorry, meant to say white/neutral. Typed too fast.

I'm thinking about switching it over to 220V, but it's running now and no trip outs, so...?

Its ok for now, but I would switch it over to 220V, black wire is not suppose to be hot, (to much current). Do you have to change the mechanical timer out?? If not, I think it would be pretty simple and only cost you a 30AMP 220V breaker.

Just curious, but where are these motors being sourced from? Are they brand new? rebuilt?

I think these motors have a voltage change plug, an internal wiring block and the two line leads coming out of the motor casing which you would connect to your power source with twist on connectors, right? Have you touched anything inside the motor besides the voltage change plug?

Even though your ampmeter is new, have you tested it on a known load such as a 100W bulb?

These motors have a cooling fan enclosed at the back. Can you feel exhaust air while the motor is running?

When the motor is free running, does it get really hot or just warm?

So you are on your second, brand new motor here of the same make, model?

dave mc

New motor from pool store

Very simple design. Wire run into the back and connect to 3 terminals. Voltage change plug and capacitor. Nothing else to touch.

Yes, ammeter tested on AC unit. Working fine.

Yes, fan is working and exhaust vents are clear.

Motor runs hot, but these size motors are always at least very warm. Ambient temp here is +88 degrees.

Yes, same make and model motor. Only so many places to get them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.