Pump Motor Loudly Screeching - Need Help Finding Replacement

Hello, pump motor is screeching so loud I can't really have it run with the neighbors.

I have no idea what motor I need to buy as a replacement. I can only seem to find the motor frame type "56Y", but the label on my motor says "56z". Does this make a difference?

I will attach a picture of the label, but it is very faded so in case it isn't legible, here is what it states:
Marathon Electric
MOD 5KC38SN6084AZ,
HP 1, HZ 60, V115/230, PH1, RPM3450, CODE M, SF 1,25, FR 56Z
CAT NO C1245
Also, what shaft seal and gaskets do I need? I see no other markings or labels anywhere that identify anything about the pump. Can you tell me what pump it is?

Can you please recommend a motor for me?

View attachment 168647
View attachment 168652

View attachment 168656

View attachment 168657

View attachment 168658

Give INYOpools a call, or check out their website. They're enormously helpful to TFP.

You should consider a Variable Speed pump- you can run it on low all day and night for less electricity than your current one, I'm sure.

Maddie :flower:

Make sure to get a pump seal kit also. The seal leaking is what caused the problem. Water runs down the motor shaft and leaks into the motor bearing.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Sorry didn't realize you don't know the pump brand. I can't tell from the photo but bet some of our pump experts will recognize it. Worst case take a photo and send it to Inyopools. On the motor you have the frame size and the Service Factor (SF). You just need the hp and it should be to the left on your photo.

Chris

Probably Sta-Rite Dura-Glas or Max-E-Glas.

Check really well for a tag of some sort.

Or, take it apart to get the impeller part number from the impeller.

The motor was changed 10 years ago, which means that the pump is even older than that.

The rebuild probably won’t go well. You should change the whole pump to a variable speed pump.

The below motors would work.

For the motor, you just need a square flange with a total of 1.25 hp (rated hp x service factor).

You could do a two speed square flange motor with a total of 1.25 hp.

Or, you could do a variable speed motor.

I would replace the whole pump with a Superflo VS or Intelliflo VS.

What is the voltage of the pump now?

Probably Sta-Rite Dura-Glas or Max-E-Glas....

The below motors would work.
I haven't taken anything apart yet but I plan to tomorrow morning. The cover of the motor as you can see isn't very convenient access only being a few inches off the wall, I think it's 230 volts.

I checked it over really well for a label on the pump. The only thing that I can see is that imprinted on the bottom is "C76-47P" (photo attached).

The first link to the Sta-Rite pump you posted - the diagram looks exactly like it. But I notice on the parts list that the replacement motors (part1) are all 48Y Frame, yet the motor I have says 56Z - is it that the wrong frame size was installed?

I think I am going to try and replace the motor rather than the pump as well.. Should I buy 48Y motor (first one you linked) like the diagram on the Sta-Rite page? Or a 56Y, since the current one I am replacing says 56Z?

Attachments

• PXL_20201114_155804434.png
    PXL_20201114_155804434.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
They are all square frame motors. So, they will all work.

The pump stand is broken. I suspect that you will probably also need a seal plate, impeller, seal, gaskets, orings etc.

I highly recommend that you replace the whole pump.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.