Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi, I’m a newbie here as well as to pools. I got my first pool with a house that I purchased 5 months ago. Ive learned a lot but still need A lot of help.
Pool is 13,500 gallons and has a spa. 17 years old and equipment was not maintained well as it appears they only made repairs as needed.
The motor has been overheating since the beginning and would turn on when cold and run its full course. Turned off, it would not restart until cooled down.
Now it will not run at all, only hum, so I assume its dead.
My pump is a pentair whisper flo. The motor is a Jandy 1.25 hp C55CXKTN-2127 and probably not the first one.
although I would like a VS replacement, it not in my budget at this time.
the pump services both my spa and pool. I think the 1.25 is too small but I’m not sure of that.
I also would like an easy exchange without the knowledge of programming a VS.
Can anyone recommend a replacement motor? I am confident that I can DIY the job.
My automation is Hayward And appreciate any and all help and suggestions.
Thanks.

Attachments

• D61B4376-440F-4194-BE55-2088283D4720.jpeg
    D61B4376-440F-4194-BE55-2088283D4720.jpeg
    530.5 KB · Views: 15
It may be as simple as a bad capacitor. Less than $20 fix. I can't tell what motor you have or what the odd wires are coming out of the housing though.

Here are the impellers that go to the Whisperflo and how much total hp each impeller requires.

Impeller......Total HP.

The total hp is the rated hp x the service factor.

Since we can’t see the pump model number, you will have to check the impeller to see how much total hp the impeller requires.

Based on the age, you would be better off getting a new variable speed pump.

Check the capacitor and see if that’s the issue.

Here are the impellers that go to the Whisperflo and how much total hp each impeller requires.

Impeller......Total HP.

Since we can’t see the pump model number, you will have to check the impeller to see how much total hp the impeller requires.

Based on the age, you would be better off getting a new variable speed pump.

Check the capacitor and see if that’s the issue.
That's the bond wire. It's not connected to the bond lug. So, maybe the bond lug is broken off?
I have an 011773 whisper flo, will a 2 HP motor work?

The 011773 comes with a 073128 impeller, which requires a 1.65 total hp motor.

The existing motor is a replacement. If the impeller is the original impeller, then that explains why the motor is getting too hot. It is being overloaded.

You can use a 1.65 hp motor to get the same performance as you have now.

You can increase or decrease the motor total hp if you change the impeller to match the chart I posted above.

If a new capacitor works, the impeller can be replaced to prevent overloading.

The 073127 impeller will work with a 1.25 total hp motor.

Thanks for the help, I am going to pull the motor today And check the impeller. I’m thinking of replacing it with a Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II 2 HP P4EA6G-1522 Motor Kit AO SMITH USQ 1202 with GO- Kit-38 ( I have a saltwater pool) any thoughts on that?

You only need a 1.65 total hp motor. You don’t need a bigger motor.

You could go with a two-speed motor with the high speed rated at a total hp of 1.65 hp.

The problem with a single speed motor is the power costs add up fast and you eventually pay more in electricity than you would with a lower power option.

Based on the age of the pump, you will likely need to replace more than just the seals. If you need to buy an impeller, seal plate, diffuser etc. then the costs go up to about what a new pump would cost anyway.

The problem with a two-speed motor is that the motor cost is pretty close to the cost of a new pump.

I would go with a new variable speed pump.

What flow rate do you want or need?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the help, I am going to pull the motor today And check the impeller. I’m thinking of replacing it with a Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas II 2 HP P4EA6G-1522 Motor Kit AO SMITH USQ 1202 with GO- Kit-38 ( I have a saltwater pool) any thoughts on that?
I pulled the motor and could not see any numbers on the impeller. I did however find out that the previous owner had someone put it back together without new gaskets or seals. Ugh. I also found this(see pic). The plastic is cracked around the encased nuts. Do you this needs to be replaced?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 6
Yes, the seal plate is bad.

I would go with a new pump over repairing the existing pump.
Ok, I’m not sure what flow rate is or how to calculate it. Can you recommend what type of pump I would need? The variable speed pumps seen rather costly. Is the programming easy to do?

thinking ahead to the plumbing, was this old pump installed properly? If so, I think I could just cut the pipe and use the threaded parts and just add a union? or replace more pipe? What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• BAD1FF42-7CDC-4F53-84EC-9524A2B41650.jpeg
    BAD1FF42-7CDC-4F53-84EC-9524A2B41650.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 7
The plumbing is a little bit awkward.

An intelliflo is the same front end as the WhisperFlo.

So, the Intelliflo will match up easily with the suction.

Just cut in front of the pump and then use a union on the suction and discharge to make everything easy.

The plumbing is a little bit awkward.

An intelliflo is the same front end as the WhisperFlo.

So, the Intelliflo will match up easily with the suction.

Just cut in front of the pump and then use a union on the suction and discharge to make everything easy.
Thank you James, what model intelliflo will be best for my pool?

The 011028 is the variable speed only pump.

The 011056 is basically the same pump but it allows you to set by speed or flow, which is not very useful for most people.

I would get whichever is cheaper.

Note: Do not get a SVRS model.

Also, set the maximum rpm to about 2,450 rpm or what ever top speed you like before starting the pump for the first time so that it does not go to full speed when the pump starts and primes.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.