Pump losing prime? Leak in lines?

Matt, if you didn't have a prime problem before, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about a bad line underground. So before you fear the worst underground, I would consider all the easy stuff near the pad like a well-lubed O-ring under that lid, drain plugs lubed and secure, all suction lines/areas above ground well-sealed (vales too).

Also, does it lose prime at any rpm, or typically at one speed (i.e. low rpm)?

Matt, if you didn't have a prime problem before, I wouldn't jump to conclusions about a bad line underground. So before you fear the worst underground, I would consider all the easy stuff near the pad like a well-lubed O-ring under that lid, drain plugs lubed and secure, all suction lines/areas above ground well-sealed (vales too).

Also, does it lose prime at any rpm, or typically at one speed (i.e. low rpm)?
Thanks for the reply. So far I’m noticing it at lower RPM’s, I’d say around 1500 and lower, but if I rev it up, it keeps a pretty solid amount of water in the basket.

I ask because it's not uncommon for VSPs to show some air under the lid at low rpms over time. Many VSP owners have them programmed at various times to ramp-up for things (SWG, cleaners, etc) which helps to purge that air. So if it's not getting worse, or only happens at a low rpm over a period of time, perhaps it's just that. Something to watch for a bit. I'm sure other comments and tips will pour in as well to assist.

Y,

When you shut the pump off, does the water in the pump basket drain back into the pool?

I have a few bubbles under the lid, but they look a lot different than yours ... The attached pic was taken at 1200RPM...20190408_183233_resized.jpg

When is the last time you cleaned your filter and what is the pressure when running at 1500?

Something does not look right but I really doubt it is a bad underground pipe.

Does the water in your skimmer look like a toilet bowl being flushed?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Y,

When you shut the pump off, does the water in the pump basket drain back into the pool?

I have a few bubbles under the lid, but they look a lot different than yours ... The attached pic was taken at 1200RPM...View attachment 96825

When is the last time you cleaned your filter and what is the pressure when running at 1500?

Something does not look right but I really doubt it is a bad underground pipe.

Does the water in your skimmer look like a toilet bowl being flushed?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the reply. I think that yes, the water does drain back into the pool when it is off.

I cleaned the filter earlier in the day prior to taking the pictures I included in the post. When I'm running at 1500, I think the PSI reads about 8-10.

The water in the skimmer when it's running looks kind of like it's sloshing around at lower speeds and fills up a bit more when it's running at higher speeds.

I think that yes, the water does drain back into the pool when it is off.
That would tend to indicate a break in the air-tight seal of the system. Sounds like you may have a tiny air leak somewhere. Might be a good time to get very picky about the system all around your pad. Check all seals, relief valves, anything. Listen for hissing, watch for "spits" of water when you turn the system off, and consider trying things like seran wrap, smoke detection, water flowing test over joint areas to submerge a possible air leak, or anything else to look for such leaks. Since you just cleaned your filter, being dirty "shouldn't" be an issue restricting water flow unless the filter itself is compromised with goo or some pool store product. When my filter gets dirty, the water in the pump basket drops beacsue of restricted water flow.

You have a suction side leak. There is an article in Pool School that will explain it further.

Since you did not have one before, I would start looking for it at the connections you made with the new pump.

This air leak will NOT be on the pressure side of your system but on the suction side......somewhere between the skimmers and the intake at the pump.

They are often hard to find but normally easy to fix. Suction side leaks CAN be underground but the chances of that are VERY slim.

That would tend to indicate a break in the air-tight seal of the system. Sounds like you may have a tiny air leak somewhere. Might be a good time to get very picky about the system all around your pad. Check all seals, relief valves, anything. Listen for hissing, watch for "spits" of water when you turn the system off, and consider trying things like seran wrap, smoke detection, water flowing test over joint areas to submerge a possible air leak, or anything else to look for such leaks. Since you just cleaned your filter, being dirty "shouldn't" be an issue restricting water flow unless the filter itself is compromised with goo or some pool store product. When my filter gets dirty, the water in the pump basket drops beacsue of restricted water flow.
Thanks for your input, I guess I have a project for this weekend.

You have a suction side leak. There is an article in Pool School that will explain it further.

Since you did not have one before, I would start looking for it at the connections you made with the new pump.

This air leak will NOT be on the pressure side of your system but on the suction side......somewhere between the skimmers and the intake at the pump.

They are often hard to find but normally easy to fix. Suction side leaks CAN be underground but the chances of that are VERY slim.
Thanks for the reply. Question about air leaks, with the air leak, would that mean that water would also be escaping so if it were above ground, I'd see a wet area where the leak is occurring? Also, in regards to the pressure side of the system, just for added knowledge about pool systems, would that be identified is there were air bubbles coming out at the return lines in the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question about air leaks, with the air leak, would that mean that water would also be escaping so if it were above ground, I'd see a wet area where the leak is occurring?
Not necessarily. On the suction side with the system running, it would be pulling-in air so water can't escape out. Leaks on the pressure side would push-out. When the system is turned "OFF", that's when you may see water drips on the suction side or burps of water outwards.
Also, in regards to the pressure side of the system, just for added knowledge about pool systems, would that be identified is there were air bubbles coming out at the return lines in the pool?
That is another indincation of a potential suction side leak - maybe. Very small bubbles can be attrubuted to other things like solar, or VSP action, but significant bubbling can be air entering the system (pulled-in) from the suction side.

Check out this page for more info: Suction Side Air Leaks - Trouble Free Pool

A pressure side leak produces no air bubbles.....it leaks water. Suction side leaks suck in air only and CAN leak water back out when the pump is off but that is not very common.

A pressure side leak is normally pretty easy to find because of the visible water. A suction side leak is often very difficult to find but it is almost never underground.

A pressure side leak produces no air bubbles.....it leaks water. Suction side leaks suck in air only and CAN leak water back out when the pump is off but that is not very common.

A pressure side leak is normally pretty easy to find because of the visible water. A suction side leak is often very difficult to find but it is almost never underground.
Thanks so much for the information. This helps me narrow down what to look for.

Not necessarily. On the suction side with the system running, it would be pulling-in air so water can't escape out. Leaks on the pressure side would push-out. When the system is turned "OFF", that's when you may see water drips on the suction side or burps of water outwards.

That is another indincation of a potential suction side leak - maybe. Very small bubbles can be attrubuted to other things like solar, or VSP action, but significant bubbling can be air entering the system (pulled-in) from the suction side.

Check out this page for more info: Suction Side Air Leaks - Trouble Free Pool
Thanks for the information. I wasn't even considering my suction lines having an leak because I was figuring if they did, I'd see water dripping out of them above ground, but what you're saying makes sense. I'm going to be looking at my suction lines tonight when I get home, thanks for the article!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.