Pump losing prime after 20 minutes

No vortexing in the skimmer and I do not see any flexible pipe.

I learned the main is tied into the skimmer. The skimmer has two ports and the one closest to the pool is where the main is tied into the filter. There is a flying saucer looking thing that goes into the skimmer that is0 suppose to use to control the flow to the main.

I now think my lines are clean, and I am starting to think it is something to do with the pump motor that is causing a problem when it gets warm.

What the condition of the shaft seal? It it dripping water? Wondering if it's heating up? Leaking air? I'm pretty sure it would be on the pressure side. Grasping at straws now. Since you covered everything. Are you able to provide a video? Images of you pump setup?

Are you positive you are not getting a vortex? Have you been looking in the skimmer at the exact moment the pump loses prime? It may only exist under certain conditions. The only place that the pump can lose prime that suddenly, (and it is sudden correct?), is if there is air entering the pump from the skimmer.

If on the other hand, air slowly builds up in the pump basket and only after 20min, it completely loses prime, then it is most likely an air leak somewhere.

I will try and post a video. I am starting to think you guys think I am crazy :D
I promise there is no vortex in the skimmer. The pump does not lose 100% prime maybe 50% then rapidly gets worse.
When I start the pump their is air in the system. Then about 95-100% of the air goes away, then suddenly something happens and it drops to about 60% prime and gets worse. It never completely loses suction, I can just see water surging into the basket.

I just hope the air that is entering the system is somewhere around the equipment as opposed to under the ground. My guess is that there is a seal somewhere or an elbow that has a very slight pinhole leak that after 20 mins sucks in just enough air. I will be interested to see the video when you get around to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I start the pump their is air in the system.
This can mean many different things so can you clarify.

- Does this mean that when the pump was shut off, the pump basket goes from 100% full of water to some air in the pump basket after some time?

-Or are you saying that there is air in the pump basket when the pump shuts off and that level does not change at that point?

-Or are you saying the pump basket is full of water but you see air coming out of the returns when the pump turns on?

Different issue that can be caused by different problems.

When a pump is shut off, it should not lose water or gain air while it is off (or on for that matter). It should remain exactly as was when it was shut off.

If the pump basket gains air slowly when it is on, it is likely an air leak and not a vortex. However, from the pictures it looks like you have checked all the above ground connections so unfortunately that only leaves the underground plumbing.

I think I identified the problem.

There appears to be an underground leak on the suction side. I think tree roots partially broke or separated the suction line. A void is now present in the clay soil that slowly fills up with water when the pump is off.
When I turn the pump on, it does its job perfectly for about 20 minutes until all the water in the void is sucked out and the pump starts to pull air.
Now I just have to finish digging out the tree and find the leak, hopefully it is just one.

I never considered water underground being the culprit. I was thinking after the pump warm up, it starts sucking air, so it must be a pump issue. At least I learned how to rebuild a pump motor, and pool filter, and put all new O-rings, seals, gaskets, and fittings. LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.