Pump Loses Prime: Could it be the shaft seal?

Well, it would seem that the plastic is getting sucked in for it to tear. Its blocking the leak enough to at least get a partial prime going. If you have duct tape you could try a couple of rounds of that to tape the lid to the pump pot and see if the pot fills completely. If that works then I would replace the pump pot.
Thank you. Let me try it again. It was a little awkward so I'll try to take more time. I appreciate the help from everyone. Will post back after I try to seal.

It sounds like you're on the right track. I'm no expert, but have the same pump.

Had a problem with lid O-rings ordered from Amazon including ones marked Pentair OEM. They were just a bit thinner than the original. Pump drew air. Went back to the original ring and all fine again. Finally found good replacements.

Maybe you got some of the bad ones? Since it sucked a hole in the plastic, there must be air getting to it just as zea3 said.

Well, it would seem that the plastic is getting sucked in for it to tear. Its blocking the leak enough to at least get a partial prime going. If you have duct tape you could try a couple of rounds of that to tape the lid to the pump pot and see if the pot fills completely. If that works then I would replace the pump pot.
ok, I feel pretty stupid but I realize now that I wasn't sealing it the way you mentioned. I was trying to seal it with the plastic between the cover and the pot, the way you seal canned goods with wax paper. I realized it when you mentioned the duct tape. Geesh. Anyway, I have some stretch wrap that we use here to wrap pallets so I will try that tonight or this weekend. Thank you.

It sounds like you're on the right track. I'm no expert, but have the same pump.

Had a problem with lid O-rings ordered from Amazon including ones marked Pentair OEM. They were just a bit thinner than the original. Pump drew air. Went back to the original ring and all fine again. Finally found good replacements.

Maybe you got some of the bad ones? Since it sucked a hole in the plastic, there must be air getting to it just as zea3 said.
Thank you. I did try switching it with 2 other pump lids that are working fine but maybe this pump is more sensitive due to the elevation, etc. But I will try another O ring. I realize now that I was not sealing it properly with the plastic. I was putting the plastic between the lid and pot and tightening the lid down. Like sealing a jar. Duh, I know, pretty stupid. I will try wrapping it on the outside with some stretch wrap we use for pallets. Thank you for your comments.

Hello. I just wanted to follow up in regards to trying to seal the pump lid with plastic wrap. It's really difficult trying to seal the lid with the plastic wrap to the pump pot. It's hard to explain but the rim of the pot is very narrow and the way the lid fits on, there is no surface area to wrap the plastic wrap on. I tried to do it anyway but it made no difference but I don't think it was really sealing it. So when my pool guy returns from his vacation, I am going to have him swap the pump I am currently using for the spa with this pump. Both are the exact same pump and the other pump is working fine so at least I will know if the problem is the pump or possibly something else without a lot of expense. What a nightmare this has been. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and I'll update in a few weeks when I switch pumps.

I know its been awhile but I wanted to give an update on this post. So after changing all the plumbing on both sides of the pump, the infinity edge pump would still lose prime after a few hours. I have a pump for the spa booster that is the exact same brand and fittings. So last week I swapped the two pumps. Well, for some unknown reason, the new infinity edge pump (formerly connected to the spa boost) does not lose prime at all! So I guess there was some air leakage in the pump somewhere? I closely inspected the top of pump pot and I don't see any deformities, etc. Looks very smooth and flat. As noted earlier, I replaced the pot lid and gasket and it still lost prime. What is interesting is that the pump that was losing it's prime that is now connected to the spa booster, doesn't lose prime either! So both pumps are working fine. My only conclusion is that there was some leak in the original infinity edge pump and because the infinity basin is very low, it would lose prime. However, when connected to the raised spa, it doesn't lose prime because the spa is raised? I don't know but at least it works now. To further my knowledge, let me know if you have any ideas on what is wrong with the pump and why it doesn't lose prime when connected to the spa but lost prime when connected to the infinity edge basin.
I really appreciate everyone's comments on this post and it was all very helpful. I have had this pool for 16 years and this was the one problem I could not figure out. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.