Pump Location Questions

FlapjackMcCoy

Bronze Supporter
Aug 13, 2019
North Carolina
Hello,

I have a couple of question about pool pump location for a fiberglass install. 1) Can the electrical and gas run from the house to the pump travel alongside the pool where the gravel fill would be, or does it have to be a separate trench?

I am assuming the answer to this is no, which would lead to having to dig a really long trench through rocky soil to locate the pump behind the pool. The other option is to put the pump up against the house, and due to the layout it would mean the pump and heater are about 8 feet from the edge of the tanning ledge and spa, and about 2-3 feet higher in elevation. I am concerned with noise. 2) How well can the noise be managed if I build am enclosure? I am thinking something simple like a privacy fence kind of structure.

I like the idea of the pump being closer to the house because it's easier to get to, right near the hose spigot, and the aforementioned enclosure will also hide the electric and cable panels on the back of the house, which are kind of an eyesore.

I haven't even talked about this with the PB yet, just trying to get informed first.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Be sure to get a variable speed pump. Then noise will not be an issue. Except during spa use as at high rpm it will still have significant noise.

Mine is in a single trench. The trench is ruffly 3' deep and 3' wide. The gas and electrical have to be 2' apart. But you'll have to look at your local code to determine what is building code in your area. From the house to the pool equipment is about 55', I also had a shed build at the same time so the pool pad is hiding behind the shed.

Last edited:
My neighbor's equipment is about 10 feet from the pool and 2-3 feet in elevation. Been like that for 15 years with no issues.

I have the Jandy VSP 2.7 HP and it is super quiet at low(er) RPMs. I keep it at 2000 all day long and you can't hear it hardly at all. I bump it to 3000 for water features and the water feature is louder than the pump. The heater is louder than the pump gas heaters kinda sound like a jet engine when they start.

Reactions: FlapjackMcCoy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.