Pump Layout for Catch Basin/Hot Tub/Pool

bmgo95

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2021
Austin
Hey there, kinda new to the pool construction industry, but have serviced pools for about 8 years.
Our next project is a 20' x 35', 17,500 gallon pool with attached spa (spa overflows into pool). Pool has infinity edge with catch basin below.
Catch basin has two Main Drains, Pool has two main drains and 1 or 2 skimmers, and Spa has two main drains.

Question 1: How to best route return lines to just heat spa (I understand that this warmer water will flow into pool, client just doesn't care to heat the entire pool).

Question 2: Will I be able to run this set up on two Variable Speed pumps into one filter? If so, which drains or skimmers should be attributed to each pump?

Thanks in advance to the kind person who helps me through this!

Welcome to TFP :)

Q1: You can put the automation on SPA and only the spa suction side and returns will go to the spa. The pool will completely get cut off including the spillover...

Q2: Never put 2 pumps into 1 filter... you can have 1 pump and filter service the pool and spa and have another pump for the spillover....

Exactly how to do those spillover I do not know.. They are not as easy as you would think.. there is a way to do it correct and you really want to research it...

Here are a couple threads

Welcome to TFP :)

Q1: You can put the automation on SPA and only the spa suction side and returns will go to the spa. The pool will completely get cut off including the spillover...

Q2: Never put 2 pumps into 1 filter... you can have 1 pump and filter service the pool and spa and have another pump for the spillover....

Exactly how to do those spillover I do not know.. They are not as easy as you would think.. there is a way to do it correct and you really want to research it...

Here are a couple threads

Thank you for the quick reply, I'll take a look through these threads as the spillover setup has been stressful planning. As for the answer to Question 2, thanks for the clarification that the filter can't handle two pumps going into it. This means that the secondary pump will have it's own filter as well. So two filters total?

As far as I know you do not need 2 filters.. 1 filter is fine on the pool.. the infinity edge pump does not need one...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.