Pump isn’t pulling any water into the pump housing

Mrieder

May 30, 2022
Virginia
Hey everybody,

Just opened (attempted to open) my in-ground pool up today. It’s my 2nd year doing it, and it went perfectly last year. So I did everything the same. Filled the pool halfway up the skimmer, removed all the plugs, replaced all the seals on the filter and pump housing, filled the pump housing up with water, turned the valve before the housing to allow water flow, and turned filter valve to filter. Everything seemed to go fine. I turned on the pump, and it sounded normal but I noticed it wasn’t building any pressure and I didn’t see any movement of water in the pool.

Looked inside pump housing, and it had sucked all the water I had primed it with into the filter, but none of the water from the pool was being brought in through the pipes. I spent all day troubleshooting it with videos and asking people I know with pools and have come up with nothing. I haven’t noticed any air leaks that could be causing it. The skimmer basket is clean. Any ideas? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

I just wanted to stop by with a warm welcome. Looks like you've found some help already. Lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks around here to help you out.

Make sure water level is halfway up the mouth of the skimmer and that the weir door is open when the pump is on.

Hopefully we'll get you up and running tomorrow.

Spend some time wading around Pool School. Here's a good set of articles to get you started.

Best wishes!

Reactions: Poolbreh
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.