May 1, 2021
Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Folks,

I had a power outage about a month back and lost my EasyTouch2 antenna to the dreaded 6 sequential blinks issue, and was unable to re-pair the remote to the controller after multiple attempts. I started looking around for alternative options as I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars to replace or go with some cloud-based software and an alternative app. I ended up installing the nodejs-poolcontroller (including the dashpanel and home assistant add-on) that I've seen a few times around the forums. It's been running for about 3 weeks now and has been great so far. I've learned more about what options I can set and have been tweaking the pump run speed to help optimize energy costs a bit (from 2400 RPM to 1900 RPM). A couple days ago, I noticed that my pump (IntelliFlo VS) has been intermittently shutting off and turning back on a few times a day, and I'm trying to diagnose why this may be. I first caught it 2 days ago while I was outside grilling and heard the pump go into priming mode, which lead me to look at some of the historical graphs and determine it's been happening for the last 5 days. I've observed 3-5 restarts per day (over 12 hours) while it's been happening.

I've read that overheating or suction issues can cause this. I suspect that it's not overheating because it's immediately restarting after it turns off. From a suction perspective, I've not visualized what's happening at the pump when it happens, but there have been no issues with startup, so I doubt it's going dry. I'm trying to get a camera out there to observe what's happening, but this is not in-place yet.

Here's a rundown of what I've tried:
  • I'm piggybacking on the RS485 connection, so I've reseated the wiring to ensure it's making proper contact to both the pump and njs-pc device
  • Ensure skimmers and pump basket are cleaned every couple days
  • Return the pump back to pre-adjusted RPM of 2400 (from 1900)
The pump had been operating at 2400 RPM when I connected to it with njs-pc. I gradually reduced it down to 1900 RPM (which reduces wattage from around 950 to 450) and it operated without issue issue from April 21 to April 28 when I first noted the issue in the pump status history. I've ramped up logging in njs-pc, but don't know if it's providing any details that might be useful to diagnose. Additionally, I don't know the data structure of the messages to understand what's going on. Today is the first day returning to prior RPM speeds. Depending on how this goes, I plan to decrement the rpm by 100 every couple of days to see if the issue is observed again.

I'm relatively new to a lot of this and continuing to learn, so curious what other folks may think I should take a look at to help understand where the issue may be. One thing to note, I don't recall this happening before connecting to it with njs-pc, but I also didn't have any reference or log to correlate with so I can't rule that out. Though, it did run for weeks without issue leading up to noticing the issue. It's probably also worth noting the equipment was installed in 2012, so is about 12 years old at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Well... it just happened again while running at 2400 RPM, so I guess that theory is out. Once turning off, it remained off for 14 seconds before going into priming mode.