Pump Interlock for Chlorine Pump

Sep 19, 2017
Mansfield, TX
New pool filled on October 28th and I have the chemicals balanced out (with little help from the builder). Builder left me with a CYA of 70 so I started chlorinating with bleach so as not to add any more CYA. Anyway, I decided to go chlorine pump and bought a Stenner pump and tank. It's been installed and running for a week now and I control it's run-time with a Samsung SmartThings appliance timer. I can adjust in 1 minute quantities right from my cell phone via the Samsung app. I planned to run a recptacle from one leg of the VS Jandy Epump 240V in the IAqualink RS controller so the chlorinator would only run if the pump was running. The problem I've found is that even when the pump is not running there is 120V to each of the "line" and "load" terminals on the filter pump relay. There is no 240V across the "load" terminals so now I am confused.
Anyone able to shed some light on the situation?
Is there another way to interlock the Stenner Pump to only run when the filter pump is running?
I guess it's not critical since I am injecting after a check valve for the in-line chlorinator but thought this would be easy and now has me stumped.

Thanks,

Mike

Terminals 1 and 3 should be the line terminals. Terminals 2 and 4 should be the load terminals.

The line terminals should always read 240 volts. The load terminals should read zero when off and 240 when on.

Mike,

I'm confused... (Easy to do I know... :p ) Where is this "Pump/Filter" relay?

Normally, 240 volts is supplied to VS pumps directly from a GFCI circuit breaker without going through any relays. Most VS pumps are controlled by an internal controller or an automation system via a com buss of some type. Measuring 240 with the pump installed can be confusing as even if you only have one leg (120 volts), the voltage can be measured on both leg connections to ground.

If the power to the pump is from an GFCI breaker, you can not use just one leg of the 240, as doing that will pop the GFCI..

So, tell us more.. Which specific Jandy Epump do you have? Do you also have a pool automation system, if so what specific model?

I did notice when looking through a Jandy manual that is has an output for a booster pump. Not sure if your pump has this or not. If it does, it would make this easy.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Mike,

I'm confused... (Easy to do I know... :p ) Where is this "Pump/Filter" relay?

Normally, 240 volts is supplied to VS pumps directly from a GFCI circuit breaker without going through any relays. Most VS pumps are controlled by an internal controller or an automation system via a com buss of some type. Measuring 240 with the pump installed can be confusing as even if you only have one leg (120 volts), the voltage can be measured on both leg connections to ground.

If the power to the pump is from an GFCI breaker, you can not use just one leg of the 240, as doing that will pop the GFCI..

So, tell us more.. Which specific Jandy Epump do you have? Do you also have a pool automation system, if so what specific model?

I did notice when looking through a Jandy manual that is has an output for a booster pump. Not sure if your pump has this or not. If it does, it would make this easy.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Ok, this makes sense. I thought a filter pump relay in the IAqualink Panel would still control the pump power but I guess it's powered at all times and the controller on the pump communicates with the main controller. When in "Service Mode" a relay cleary switches in the Jandy controller when I turn on the Filter Pump. No GFCI breaker. It's a Jandy 2HP VS FloPro? Any other ideas on a pump interlock?

The Jandy manual recommends that the pump go through the relay. It doesn't have to, so it might not.

Either way, the relay should open and close when the pump is powered.

The pump also, has an auxiliary load relay that can be used.

Mike,

The Service mode is like a Manual mode.. Nothing automatically happens. Not sure about the Jandy, but when my Pentair is in the Service mode, the pump is no longer under the control of my automation.

If you have the Aaualink, then you can then simply use the output of the Pump/Filter relay to control your Stenner.

When in the Auto mode, the Pump/Filter relay will be closed anytime the pump is being told (via the com buss) to run.

As James point out, the pump/filter relay should have power being applied to the line contacts of pins 1 and 3 all the time. When the relay closes the load side pins 2 and 4 would be hot.

Obviously, you need to see what voltage is connected to pins 1 and 3...

Also... I know on my EasyTouch any relay can be used as the pump/filter relay. Not sure it is the same for Jandy, but I would want to make sure that what you think is the Pump/filter relay is actually being used as the pump/filter relay. You should be able to follow the wires from the main board connector for the pump/filter relay and see which relay is being used.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The Jandy manual recommends that the pump go through the relay. It doesn't have to, so it might not.

Either way, the relay should open and close when the pump is powered.

The pump also, has an auxiliary load relay that can be used.

James,

You know more about Jandy than I know about my own children, so I'm sure what you say is true... but why in the world would they what the VS pump to have its external power shut off when they want the pump off. On the surface it does not make any sense. :confused:

Thanks,

Jim R.

3.2.6 Variable Speed Pump Wiring (High Voltage)
With the AquaLink® RS it is possible to control four different types of variable speed pumps. This section describes how to supply AC power to the pumps. For instructions on how to connect the low voltage communications wiring (RS485) see Section 3.3.3. It is recommended to connect the variable speed pump to a relay.

Connect the red and black wires (L1 and L2) of the motor drive to the two load side connections on the filter pump relay...
From the Aqualink RS installation manual.
The Jandy variable speed pumps do not use an on board controller when using AquaLink automation. The pump only needs power when it needs to run.

Thanks for the info so far! I need to do some further electrical testing to figure out what's happening. It just struck me as strange that the relay that seems to activate when I turn on the filter pump in "service mode" has 120V at both the line and load terminals when not activated but only has 240V across the load terminals when activated. I can't mentally picture what's happening to cause thhat situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Where is the auxilary load relay located?

I suspect that the relay is wired incorrectly or you're measuring the voltage incorrectly.

Terminal 1 and 3 are line, 2 and 4 are load.

The auxiliary load relay is in the pump to the left of the power terminals. See picture in this thread.

Help! Hooking up SWG to Jandy VS pump

Can you post pictures of the pump power connection area and the filter relay area?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also... Measure between pins 2 and 4 with the pump on and off... and tell us what voltage you are getting, when the pump is off, and what voltage you are getting when the pump is on. Do not measure to ground, just between pins 2 and 4.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.