mnhim001

Jun 4, 2021
San Dimas, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just wondering, do I need to add water into the pool pump filter basket every time I open up the lid to empty it out? or can I just close the lid and turn on the pump and it will prime itself?

do I need to add water into the pool pump filter basket every time I open up the lid to empty it out? or can I just close the lid and turn on the pump and it will prime itself?
Depends. When you remove the clear lid to clean the pump pot, if most of the water remains in the pot you are fine. But if the water level drops significantly for some reason, you should top it off before closing it with the lid and starting the pump.

Just wondering, do I need to add water into the pool pump filter basket every time I open up the lid to empty it out? or can I just close the lid and turn on the pump and it will prime itself?
If you have a check valve before the pump, then filling up pump pot is less important.
But typically it's advisable to fill the pump pot before restarting.

If the water level in the pump basket is at least up to the bottom of the suction inlet, it should prime just fine.
Every system is a little different. You will have to try it and see. The pump should prime within a minute or two. If it takes longer, add water to the pump basket area and try again.

Don't forget to clean and lube the lid o-ring and the pumpbasket/lid mating surfaces.

Hi everyone, I was having an issue with my pool being cloudy and I just realized my pump has very little water movement.

I turned on my pump at 3110RPM, it starts the prime. I hear the motor and I see the water splashing up on top of the pump filter basket. I also, see the water moving fast at the skimmer. As soon as its done priming there is very little water movement. I checked to make sure my RPM was still set at 3110 and it is. I changed the RPM setting to 2500, and no change. I turn off the pump and turn it back on and it starts the prime, and I again see water move through the pump basket and at the skimmer, but as soon as the prime is complete, there is little to no water movement at all.

The pressure on my filter shows at 20PSI though. Anyone know what may be causing this issue?

Can you confirm for us ..... how is the water flow at your return jets? Is it strong? Is it possible the water in the pump basket is full and so clear that it just "appears" to not be moving when it actually is?
The flow at the return yet is very low, I used to be able to push my finger into the jet and feel the pressure push back. Now, I put my finger in and I can now stop the flow with my finger in the return jet.

Also, before I was never able to pull out my skimmer basket because the pressure was so strong, now I can pull it out as if the pump was turned off.

What type filter do you have?
When was the last time it was cleaned?

With pump off, have you checked the pump impeller for obstructions/debris?

What type filter do you have?
When was the last time it was cleaned?

With pump off, have you checked the pump impeller for obstructions/debris?
I have a DE pool filter, I cleaned it about 2 weeks ago.

I'll have to check the impeller when I get home later today. I am also going to double check the o-ring on the filter lid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you backwash and recharge your DE filter or do a full teardown?
What exact filter?
How much DE did you add and how did you add it?

Did you backwash and recharge your DE filter or do a full teardown?
What exact filter?
How much DE did you add and how did you add it?
I did a full teardown. Its a Hayward DE filter (don't have the exact model number), and I added 6 lbs of DE using the 1lb Aladdin scoop.

Before the filter was cleaned, it was cloudy. I cleaned the filter, fully opened up the filter, washed off all the DE and then recharged with new DE. The cloudy water cleared up after about 2 days. After the 1st week, I noticed it started to get cloudy again, so I went ahead and shocked it, but as of now its just been getting more cloudy. Last night I went to add some muriatic acid and turned on the pump to 3110RPM and thats when I noticed that the water wasn't running through my skimmer or it was running very slow.

I did a full teardown. Its a Hayward DE filter (don't have the exact model number), and I added 6 lbs of DE using the 1lb Aladdin scoop.

Before the filter was cleaned, it was cloudy. I cleaned the filter, fully opened up the filter, washed off all the DE and then recharged with new DE. The cloudy water cleared up after about 2 days. After the 1st week, I noticed it started to get cloudy again, so I went ahead and shocked it, but as of now its just been getting more cloudy. Last night I went to add some muriatic acid and turned on the pump to 3110RPM and thats when I noticed that the water wasn't running through my skimmer or it was running very slow.
DE filters are quite susceptible to algae-induced clogging. Is your filter pressure high?

It sounds like you have algae (evidenced by the cloudy water), and the dead algae could be clogging your filter. A dirty DE filter would cause the pump issues, and low return flow, that you describe.

You don't note what test kit you use, but do mention "shock." TFP methods rely on self-testing with a recommended kit, and the SLAM process for clearing up a pool.

Reactions: jsygrls
DE filters are quite susceptible to algae-induced clogging. Is your filter pressure high?

It sounds like you have algae (evidenced by the cloudy water), and the dead algae could be clogging your filter. A dirty DE filter would cause the pump issues, and low return flow, that you describe.

You don't note what test kit you use, but do mention "shock." TFP methods rely on self-testing with a recommended kit, and the SLAM process for clearing up a pool.

My filter pressure is high after about 1 week after cleaning. When it was cleaned it was reading at 15psi, now its at 25psi. I am using the TF-100 Pro test kit.

Do I have to do another clean or just a backwash will do?

If slamming, do I again have to clean the filters or just backwash?

IMO, backwash again, then check your PSI as often as you can, a 15% to 20% rise in a couple of days, backwash again, If its rises quicker that, ( do to a heavy algae removal), open filter and perform a cleanout. You should be doing a complete out at the end of the SLAM process in any event.

IMO, backwash again, then check your PSI as often as you can, a 15% to 20% rise in a couple of days, backwash again, If its rises quicker that, ( do to a heavy algae removal), open filter and perform a cleanout. You should be doing a complete out at the end of the SLAM process in any event.
Will give the backwash a try later today. Any idea how much DE I need to put back in?

Sounds like the quality of the water may be in question (cloudy). There are no test results listed in your Poolmath logs, so it would help at this point to see a full set of water test results. But at the very least, consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Sounds like the quality of the water may be in question (cloudy). There are no test results listed in your Poolmath logs, so it would help at this point to see a full set of water test results. But at the very least, consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
I am definitely going to perform this test right after I resolve the issue with my pool pump. I am having trouble maintaining chlorine levels though. I'll have to retest and put up my results.

from INYOpools.com

New Filters & Full Cleaning’sDE Grid full cleaning

If you are starting with a brand new DE filter installation or doing a full cleaning meaning you are removing all of the DE fromyour filter grids then you will add 1 lb of D.E. powder for every 10 square feet (Sq. Ft.) of filter area. We suggest doing a full DE filter cleaning 1-2 times per year. Below are a few of the most popular DE filter sizes along with the required DE amounts.

• 24 Sq. Ft. = 2.4 Lbs.
  • 36 Sq. Ft. = 3.6 Lbs.
  • 48 Sq. Ft. = 4.8 Lbs.
  • 60 Sq. Ft. = 6 Lbs.
  • 72 Sq. Ft. = 7.2 Lbs.

After Back-washing​

Normally to clean your DE filter you perform a process called back-washing, this is a process where you use the backwash valve mounted on your filter to strip the dirty layer of DE off of your DE grids. When back-washing you do not remove all of the DE from the grids. Since you are not removing all of the DE powder
you will add roughly 80% of the DE powder compared to a full cleaning. Below are a few of the most popular DE filter sizes along with the required DE amounts after back-washing.

• 24 Sq. Ft. = 1.9 Lbs.
  • 36 Sq. Ft. = 2.8 Lbs.
  • 48 Sq. Ft. = 3.8 Lbs.
  • 60 Sq. Ft. = 4.8 Lbs.
  • 72 Sq. Ft. = 5.7 Lbs.

Reactions: mnhim001
Post a full set of current test results from your TF-100
I see you are sharing your PoolMath logs, but haven't posted actual test results there.
Do the tests and post them all to PoolMath.

Are you familiar with the FC/CYA Levels?

If the filter pressure is climbing after only one week, you probably have a nascent algae bloom.
See post #19 for the suggested DE amounts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.