Pump Grounding Question

IUsedToSail

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2020
Maryland
I was fairly productive this past weekend knocking out a few items on the pool section of my "To Do" list.
  • Installed CircuPool CORE55 SWG
  • Installed Pooltool Zinc Anode
  • Installed all new DE grids - bought these for $85 on sale this past Winter. OMG what a flow difference.
I need to run to the store today to buy an additional length of copper grounding wire for the anode as the one that was included isn't quite long enough to reach the exposed bonding grid. While admiring my handy work I noticed a lug on the side of my VS Century pump motor for a ground. My former Hayward Super Pump was not connected to an external ground/bonded, which made wonder if it needs to be bonded or not. I'm a little confused because the NEC states that there should be not multiple ground paths. Maybe I'm confusing the electrical grid ground and the bonding grid.

thanks

The outside lug on the pump 100% needs to be connected to your bonding grid, as does your anode. You will have multiple things connected to your bonding grid at various points. Handrails, Ladders, Lights, pumps, grid around pool, etc.

I think you are mixing up grounding and bonding. They are both important and serve different purposes. Here is a good description from Hayward:

The Role of Electrical Bonding and Grounding in Pool Safety - Hayward POOLSIDE Blog

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.