Pump gpm

SerenityIV

Aug 2, 2019
Orlando, FL
Trying to learn everything I can to set myself up here. This is my pump, but I cannot figure out the GPM and how much electricity it is using. More importantly, the GPM, so I can figure out how long to run my pump per day.

marathon electric pool pump
Model 5kc38sn6084ax
Having a hard time finding info on this

Attachments

• 20190809_193926.jpg
    20190809_193926.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 10
Run time does not depend on GPM. Most pools need 2 to 4 hours of run time per day for sanitation. Beyond that is strictly for asthetics, heating or other factors.

Turnovers are a myth. Read the run time article in my signature and look at the pool school article on run time.

We have a very large member base that have been following these recommendations for many years.

Just keep in mind that you still need to keep FC levels the same as before. So with a SWG or a puck chlorinator, you must increase the output to compensate for the shorter run time.

Yeah, that makes sense. I've been using liquid chlorine, but it seems that the amount should be the same, especially considering the study alludes to the fact that there was no relationship between lower pump time and higher need for chemicals. Typically I like to pour the chlorine when the jets are going and I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

With manual dosing, you can keep doing what you have been doing. But have you been following the FC/CYA charts for FC targets in Pool School? That is a must going forward.

Yes, absolutely. I'm ensuring proper dosage to my CYA level. This site has been insanely helpful. So, is it okay to pour the chlorine in and have it sit for a few hours before the filtration kicks on, say around noon? I usually put it in around 7am before I leave for work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your chemical additions should be done with the pump running. The pump should run for at least 30 minutes after adding.

If you must add without the pump running, you must brush the area very well to be sure the addition is well mixed in to the water.

So, is it okay to pour the chlorine in and have it sit for a few hours before the filtration kicks on, say around noon? I usually put it in around 7am before I leave for work.
You could do that but there are a couple of downsides. Chlorine is denser than water so will have a tendency to sink to the bottom which will help protect it from the sun. This is ok for a gunite pool (yours) but could be an issue for other types of pools. However, the CL will mix with water on the way down so there will be a local hot spot of higher concentration near the surface where you added it so the result would be a slightly higher CL loss during the hours before the pump is running than if you fully mixed the CL with the water. You would also need to take into account those areas of the pool that still have the pre-dose FC levels as before the FC addition so those levels would need to be maintained above target before the pump starts running. Long term the result may be higher CL use. Other that that, I don't see a problem adding CL this way.

Well, I've run into a bigger problem. Now that I've got my test kit, my CYA is about 110. Flipping pool guy using pucks. My FC test basically turned orange. Think I'm going to have to drain a substantial amount of water and restart. Sigh..

Hey mas985, just wanted to let you know I've been following the advice you gave me and from that article and it's been going GREAT! Saving me a ton of money on my bill too. I had a question for the future. Someday I will likely need to replace my pump and would probably consider a variable speed as they seem to be the top choice these days. Does that mean I'd need to run my pool twice as long or so with the speed being low? Just food for thought. Thanks again!

Maybe. For just circulation after adding CL, you may need 60 min for distribution on lower speeds. For skimming, you may or may not need longer run time. It just depends on how quickly it cleans up the pool on lower speeds. Trial and error is the best course.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.