Pump/filter/swg sizing - INTEX 32x16 AGP

Aug 5, 2018
Amelia
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out correct size of pump, sand filter and chlorinator for a 32X16 intex AGP 17000 gallons as I plan not to use the intex pump/filter/swg but i'd rather choose something a little better.

I understand that:
- the pump has to pump all the water in 6/8 hours, mustn't be oversized
- filter must meet the gal/min potential of the pump and possibily be a 25% bigger.
- chlorinator the bigger the better and I'm oriented toward the AUTOCHLOR RP-PH 25

I understand that a variable speed pump can give many benefits such as low energy consumption, flexibility in filtering time and chlorination time, but I can't seem to find a model under 1,5 hp and that seem a too powerful pump; the only model I could spot is a 1,5 hp and its range in term of gpm starts from 74 gpm at 0.25HP , then 100, 118 and a 132 gpm at 1,5 HP

Considering that I plan to install 2 trough the wall skimmers plus the original suction hose, I'd like to hear some advice wether the mentioned variable speed pump is effectively too powerful or if I can consider using it at the lowest power.

Thanks for reading!

Did your pool come with the larger Intex pump and filter (16 inch sand)? I would just go ahead and use that for a while, it is actually not a bad set up for while you shop and watch for specials. I used the silly little cartridge filter that cam with mine for 2 years, and it worked OK if I really stayed on top of the chlorine. The intex pump seems pretty sturdy for such a cheap item - I have run mine dry at least 3 times this year and it just keeps on working!

You would probably be best off with a 1 hp 2 speed rather than a vs as the cost is quite high. Chlorinator - yes that might be the best thing to replace first, around here they say get one rated at least twice as many gallons as your pool. Personally I am thinking of switching to a stenner pump to dose liquid chlorine because I am getting strange deposits on my swg and am tired of dealing with it at the same time always supplementing with LC anyway.

Two skimmers plus a third suction? To me if you get your skimmer in a good location (prevailing breezes) more than one for a small pool is just adding potential leaks and other problems. Personal choice but I wouldn't do it. Maybe keeping a valve on one of the old lower suction holes in case of low water but 3 suctions for an intex seems kind of exessive. How many returns are you planning? I would put the time and $$$ toward a decent SWG or other chlorination system and maybe a robot cleaner before upgrading from the bigger intex pump and filter. Now if you have the cartridge filter, go for the pump and filter upgrade first! LOL

I agree with using the equipment that comes with the pool. I've been using the sand filter (which holds 50 lbs of sand) and seems to work OK. I suppose I have to backwash the filter more often than if I had a larger filter, but probably backwash every couple of weeks or so.
The pump lasted a couple of season, and I bought a cheap 1 hp single speed pump that's still working.
While I currently have the 12x24 pool, I'm not sure I need anything more powerful when I install the 16x32 sitting in the garage.
As to SWG, I used the Intex version for a couple of seasons, but went back to chlorine. I was constantly dealing with the plates building up scale. A better SWG might have worked better, but putting a few 3" tablets in a floating dispenser every couple of weeks is pretty maintenance free.

If you use the Intex equipment for a season, you'll have a better idea of what you need to upgrade to.

I agree with using the equipment that comes with the pool. I've been using the sand filter (which holds 50 lbs of sand) and seems to work OK. I suppose I have to backwash the filter more often than if I had a larger filter, but probably backwash every couple of weeks or so.
The pump lasted a couple of season, and I bought a cheap 1 hp single speed pump that's still working.
While I currently have the 12x24 pool, I'm not sure I need anything more powerful when I install the 16x32 sitting in the garage.
As to SWG, I used the Intex version for a couple of seasons, but went back to chlorine. I was constantly dealing with the plates building up scale. A better SWG might have worked better, but putting a few 3" tablets in a floating dispenser every couple of weeks is pretty maintenance free.

If you use the Intex equipment for a season, you'll have a better idea of what you need to upgrade to.

Watch those tablets, they are adding CYA all the time and after a while your chlorine just won't work any more. Check out the free pool school e-book the site offers or just read from the links at the top of the page. Tablets are ok for vacations, but not so great to use all the time unless you are replacing a fair amount of water regularly.

thanks for your advice!
prevailing breezes never considered and in seek for a 2 speed pump!
And of course three suction point and one return is bad, now I see this.
I guess two suction (I'm still considering skimmers) + two returns better ?

I see that my decision to upgrade pump/filter/swg may seem too drastic.
But there is a few reasons for that and I'll try to explian:
- pool will be up 12 month/year and I don't plan to upgrade.
- my mother in law, who lives next door and has access to our garden, is willing to share pool cost in order to have rights to use the pool (of course she would be welcome, don't blame me, tha fact is that she wants to FEEL free to use the pool...we are Italians...strange peopole...)

Anyway her offer is valid now but I'm not going to ask her, say one year from now, any sum to upgrade pump or swg.

Check out my build thread below (page 1 for pump and filter, page 2 for pool instal), that is the exact pool I put in.. I used a pentair 2 speed pump and a cart filter that have worked flawlessly for 4 years...

Salt water generator is the way to go, you make chlorine at the pool instead of hauling from the store :)

- my mother in law, who lives next door and has access to our garden, is willing to share pool cost in order to have rights to use the pool (of course she would be welcome, don't blame me, tha fact is that she wants to FEEL free to use the pool...we are Italians...strange peopole...)

Anyway her offer is valid now but I'm not going to ask her, say one year from now, any sum to upgrade pump or swg.

Gotcha - more to the equation! Go for the pump filter upgrade and some kind of auto chlorination for sure. Need a heater too? LOL

I did my homework... I've estimated Total Dynamic head considering two scenarios (2'' and 1''-1/2 piping) in both cases the variable speed pump will run well below max speed. This leave some room for future upgeades like solar panels... (@ Pv2: mmm solar panels.. mmm interesting ... LOL)
@ cowboycasey: I haven't read your thread yet, just a sneak peak via smartphone; surely I'm going to ask you some advice!
thanks everyone for you time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.