Pump/Filter Run time

mrnmrslodge

Jul 20, 2020
Burlington, NJ
Hey everyone! I’m a newbie here. My husband and I just installed an above ground pool and we have never owned a pool before. Love this site and the pool math calculator..so helpful!! However, we need some help about how long we should be running our filter/pump. We have a 21 foot round, 10,500 gallon pool.

We also have a Hayward XStream 150 Cartridge Filter System 1.5-HP Power-Flo Pump (Flow rate of 120 gallons per minute or 57,600 gallons in 8 hours.)

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
How are you chlorinating the pool water?
Time to run the pump depends on if you are using a SaltWater Chlorine Generator to chlorinate or if you will be adding liquid chlorine to the pool every day.
Also how much skimming is needed.
Let us know the above and we can provide some guidance.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Great. So you need to circulate the water each day after adding the liquid chlorine. Depending on your skimming needs, you can run the pump 4-6 hours each day with adding the liquid chlorine at least 30 minutes prior to the pump turning off.

I would suggest you consider getting your own proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

One of the areas that as a new pool owner you will need to do is that of experimenting with how much filtering your pool requires. If you do not have one at this time, I would suggest considering a 24 hour timer with presets for on and off times to control your pump time. There are so many factors involved in getting to the correct amount of filtering. How many people are using the pool, lotions, suntan oils, debris from plants, trees and insects. And with all of those factors you also have limitations of the pump, filter and water skimmer. You mentioned a cartridge filter and one of the very first things I would do now is to purchase another filter element. With a second filter cartridge you can then rotate them as needed and reduce the amount of dirt and debris that they have to absorb between cleanings. What you ultimately want is nice, sparkling water to enjoy. You might find that it takes 2 hours to accomplish that or 10 but again, experiment to find out what your pool needs.

One of the areas that as a new pool owner you will need to do is that of experimenting with how much filtering your pool requires. If you do not have one at this time, I would suggest considering a 24 hour timer with presets for on and off times to control your pump time. There are so many factors involved in getting to the correct amount of filtering. How many people are using the pool, lotions, suntan oils, debris from plants, trees and insects. And with all of those factors you also have limitations of the pump, filter and water skimmer. You mentioned a cartridge filter and one of the very first things I would do now is to purchase another filter element. With a second filter cartridge you can then rotate them as needed and reduce the amount of dirt and debris that they have to absorb between cleanings. What you ultimately want is nice, sparkling water to enjoy. You might find that it takes 2 hours to accomplish that or 10 but again, experiment to find out what your pool needs.
Thank you for your advice! Appreciate it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.