Pump Failure - Replace with Superflo or Intelliflo

evamor

Mar 2, 2021
DFW
I have a Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP CHII-N1-1 1/2A Pump with a US Motors K63CXDFU-5157 Motor that seems shot. It just has a humming sound. I've tried to reprime, breakers on/off, and tried to manually move the propeller which it does per other threads with similar issues and no luck. So looking at replacing it. It runs or well ran 24/7 and the power draw is rather high for it so looking to go variable speed. I just have a basic pool no automation (would like to add in future) and no water features or spa beyond the aerators in the pool. Is there any benefit that is worth the cost of the Intelliflow over a Superflow VST?

I've also been told by one pool company that the Superflo VST is no longer for sale or a current model by Pentair. I cant find anything online to validate that isnt BS. They quoted 3k+ installed for the intelliflo. I have another company that quoted 1745 for the 3HP 230V Intelliflo VSF and $250 install and 144 tax. From what I can see online the Superflo VST can be found for 8-900 delivered with no tax and install should be ~2-300. Anything im missing?

I am down in Katy near Houston I purchased a Pentair VSF back in June. I paid $1675 (included a small discount from Pinch a Penny + tax), Labor & parts to install was $150. Got a $100 rebate from Pentair and a $350 rebate from electric company. So all in it was only a little over $1500 net. I go the VSF because one it was in stock (store just received a shipment) and two, I though it was a better pump.

I cannot comment on current availability of SuperFlo VST

I have the SuperFlo VST.
No complaints so far (1st season). It is whisper quiet at low speeds and very quiet at full speed. However. Automation is important to me and I am disappointed with the limitations of it vs the Intelliflo. I let my pb know that for the small price difference, it should have been part of the package when I told him I wanted to upgrade to full automation. As it is, I can only control the SuperFlo speed by relays. So it is essentially a two speed pump where I can preset (on the pump) what those 2 speeds will be. Of course I can override the speeds.... But with the Intelliflo I would have much more control of the speeds remotely.

So it really depends on what you are looking for when you upgrade to automation.

---edit - I just read the details on the link Marty posted. It looks like the one he linked may be a newer version than mine because it lists RS-485 for improved interface....

Reactions: mknauss
The Intelliflo is a higher HP pump. You can run it at lower rpm, and lower electrical usage, for the same water flow vs the Superflo. But it is not a huge amount more electricity usage. You will be able to hook up the Superflo to a Pentair automation but will need to get the connection cord when you get the automation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.