Pump Died

Beerfloater

Bronze Supporter
Feb 18, 2020
North Carolina
Hello all,
It has been a while since I last posted anything. I bought my house with inground pool in 2019. I have used the same pump since I moved in. It is a Hayward model SP2605X7 3/4 HP. The pump can be wired to be 115 V or 230V. It is wired for 230V. I have always thought it may have been a little undersized. So on Sunday I noticed it was making a ringing noise and I feared it may be a bearing going out. I touched the motor and it was extremely Hot. It burnt my hand when I touched it. I turned the pump off and set the timer for the pump to run 12 on and 12 off thinking it may extend the life a little. Well no such luck when I got home yesterday the breaker was tripped and when I tried to restart the pump it tripped the breaker again. I am going to replace the whole pump. My question is should I simply replace it with the same size pump? How do you determine what size pump is needed?

What size is your filter? Aside from the 24K pool itself, do you have any other products that require support for that pump such as a waterfall, bubblers, etc? If not, I suspect any number of today's models of variable speed pumps will do. Depending on your budget, you can go for a 2-3 HP and simply adjust the rpm as needed.

No spa, no heater, no water features ... a 3/4 HP is all you need to circulate the water.

You could try replacing the capacitor in the pump - Pump Capacitors - Further Reading

Pump motors get hot continuously running and are not necessarily a sign of a problem. Running 24/7 is easier on electrical devices then being thermal cycled when turned on and off.

What size is your filter? Aside from the 24K pool itself, do you have any other products that require support for that pump such as a waterfall, bubblers, etc? If not, I suspect any number of today's models of variable speed pumps will do. Depending on your budget, you can go for a 2-3 HP and simply adjust the rpm as needed.
I have a Hayward sand filter Model # S210T that says the GPM is 44 and holds 200 LBS of sand No other waterfalls, bubblers or anything like that

Reactions: Texas Splash
I have a Hayward sand filter Model # S210T that says the GPM is 44 and holds 200 LBS of sand
I'm sure you could go with a various model and size of pumps. You felt like the 3/4 HP was struggling a bit, and perhaps so. I have a simple set-up and still have close to a 2 HP without having to push sand upwards during a backwash. But the reason I made note about a higher HP VSP is because nowadays the cost is such that for the price, you might as well get a good sized one, even if it's slightly larger than what you need compared to a non-VSP. That's the nice thing about VSPs, if you get a good deal on a larger one, you can still manipulate the rpms down to meet your pool and equipment's needs.

Reactions: newdude
A larger VS pump moves the same water at a lower RPM, saving further energy. Sometimes it's not worth a large upcharge if going from 1.5 to 3 HP, but if the price is even remotely close, GBOGH.

Welcome back brother. :wave:

Reactions: Texas Splash
Almost forgot, pics say 1000 words and whatnot. My 3HP pump has enough flow to trigger my SWG at 700 RPMs, compared to the wattage of full throttle of a SS pump. Your SS pump used less power being smaller, but still alot.

Screenshot_20231010_192222_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231010_192218_Chrome.jpg

Skimming works great around 1200 RPMs / 110W.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like a really nice pump. It had great reviews and I think it will work good with my set up. saved me a couple hundred $ too........ Thanks!!!
I don't recall if they were out yet for build #2 during the shortages or they came out right after, but I wouldn't have been a beta tester either way. They've been going strong since, and the couple of times a member had a problem, they made it right and quickly at that.

If my intelliflo dies tomorrow, I'm getting a Calimar.

Keep us posted. :)

OK guys so my new Calimar 1.5 Hp VS pump was delivered today. I jumped in and got the new pump installed. I am amazed at how quiet this thing is and is is great that it is fan cooled. My pump is in a small pump house that is open at the bottom for air circulation but it does get hot in there so the fan will hopefully make the pump motor last longer. I have posted some pics so y’all can see the finished product. I do have a new issue though. My Flow meter on my SW generator seems to be getting stuck and I notice when the pump was off the warning light on the controller was not illuminated. I am worried that it will stick and the saw generator will try to make chlorine when the pump is not on and damage the cell or generator. Has anyone else experienced this issue and is there an easy fix or should I just replace theflow sensor?

IMG_9171.jpegIMG_9195.jpegIMG_9193.jpegIMG_9194.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The SWCG must be completely powered off when the pump is not running. You need to either use a timer or other power removing device to insure there is no power to the SWCG when the pump is not running.

I have a Hayward sand filter Model # S210T that says the GPM is 44 and holds 200 LBS of sand No other waterfalls, bubblers or anything like that
44 GPM is small. It's very possible you had the small pump to avoid exceeding this number. If you up-size, you'll need to be careful. Or get a filter (like most any cartridge filter) with higher capacity. Example: my old single speed 1.5 hp Whisperflo produced over 100 gpm for my 20k pool.

Last edited:
Your SWG should be connected to a timer and not powered when your pump is off.

the warning light on the controller was not illuminated. I am worried that it will stick
All flow switches are cheapo parts. It's just a matter of time until they fail IMO.

I would replace it with any question about it.

And then I'd put that energy sipping pump to good use and run 24/7 for considerably less than you used to run part time.