Pump dead/dying and need recommendations on a new one (brand, HP, etc)

Jun 28, 2015
Greenville/SC
Hi All, I started another thread for my dying (almost dead) pump, but it's not likely that I'll be able to revive it, therefore it's shopping time.

I have an AGP that is 24' round, and 4' deep. According to the Pool Calculator that's about 13,500 gallons. I only have about of 8 ft of piping total, including two 90 degree bends, so not much head to speak of. My sand filter is a Hayward S210T.

My old pump is a 1.5hp SP1580X15 Powerflo LX and it costs a LOT to run (I normally only run it at night also).

My questions are this:

• What are your thoughts on 2-speed pumps? Are they worth it?
  • What size pump do you think I need, given the low amt of head and 13.5k gallons? I think 1.5hp seems like too much, but I don't know much.
  • What types of pumps do you recommend? I've had Hayward and, like many others, I tend to gravitate to them, but for no other reason than brand recognition.
  • Where do you suggest buying pumps? I get the feeling that every pool store out there is trying to get over on me, and the prices seem terrible. Therefore I'm leaning towards something like Amazon, Doheny's, Inyo or something like that.

Thanks!
Heygreene

Attachments

• 20180702_120629.jpg
    20180702_120629.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 67
I have this pump and really like it, I paid 399, it is 349 now
https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Energy-Certified-Splash-Pumps/dp/B076645SMP
It is a 240 volt, so unless you or someone can switch your wiring over you will need a 120 volt pump, which I would suggest this one
https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-342001-SuperFlo-Variable-Horsepower/dp/B00PKHX2BM
might be able to find it a little cheaper, just need to shop around

both are variable speed which you could run at 1200 or lower with your pool(depends on the amount of skimming you need), and use the quick clean for vacuuming

Hi All, I started another thread for my dying (almost dead) pump, but it's not likely that I'll be able to revive it, therefore it's shopping time.

I have an AGP that is 24' round, and 4' deep. According to the Pool Calculator that's about 13,500 gallons. I only have about of 8 ft of piping total, including two 90 degree bends, so not much head to speak of. My sand filter is a Hayward S210T.

My old pump is a 1.5hp SP1580X15 Powerflo LX and it costs a LOT to run (I normally only run it at night also).

My questions are this:

• What are your thoughts on 2-speed pumps? Are they worth it?
  • What size pump do you think I need, given the low amt of head and 13.5k gallons? I think 1.5hp seems like too much, but I don't know much.
  • What types of pumps do you recommend? I've had Hayward and, like many others, I tend to gravitate to them, but for no other reason than brand recognition.
  • Where do you suggest buying pumps? I get the feeling that every pool store out there is trying to get over on me, and the prices seem terrible. Therefore I'm leaning towards something like Amazon, Doheny's, Inyo or something like that.

Thanks!
Heygreene

I just installed a Pentair SuperFlo VS pump. It's obviously too soon to judge the long term reliability. However, it has a built-in watt meter, and I can tell the savings from being able to optimize the flow rates for my pool are significant compared to the single speed pump it replaced. It was somewhat, but not hugely so, more expensive than a single speed pump. I ruled out two-speed pumps because the complexity and cost of a two-speed timer to go with it were not attractive to me. The decision came down to a 3/4 hp. single speed pump with a timer, or the variable speed. You may know that most pump manufacturers toy with their warranty language when it comes to online purchases. However, purchasing from a store can be absurdly more than online pricing, so it's a choice. poolinfloor (funny name, Google it) is a well rated online seller. Amazon offers a Squaretrade warranty to offset what the suppliers take away, assuming Squaretrade will actually stand behind it when the time comes. Professional installation may be required to qualify for anything more than a trivial warranty. More than you may want to know, but hope this helps.

Also, just installed a Pentair Superflo VS pump and can highly recommend it .
A few things that lean in your favor for the superflo VS .......
Its 120V OR 240V with no need to change anything. Just hook it up and it will figure it out itself !
Its ready , out of the box , for 1.5" plumbing fittings (like you have) and comes with the unions .
Its AMAZING at how well this thing saves on your electric bill !!!!

I also replaced an old dying single speed , 3450rpm , 1.5 hp pump that was an energy hog ! I approximate is was using about 2500w ! The new Superflo VS that I have turned down to 2500RPM (my low limit because of a Heat Pump heater low pressure cut off) , shows its only using about 750W ! HUGE savings ! Thats a little bit over 1/4% of the energy use compared to the old pump. I have turned it down to about 1400 Rpm to try it , and if I remember it was pulling only about 180W !

BTW, I also have a Hayward S210T , and its a perfect match .

One thing to note .........this Superflo pumps a serious amount of water at full 3450 RPM . My usual pressure with the old single speed 1.5 hp pump was about 16-18 psi . This Superflo at full flow is showing about 25psi ! I dont ever run it at full . I am on at 3000rpm for a quick initial cleaning for an hour , then ramp down to 2500 for 3 more hours a day . (2500 is my low cut off point for the heat pump heater I am running otherwise I would/could go lower) . Even though the Superflo has a 1.5 hp rating , there is verbiage right on the pump that states 2.2 hp . You can easily install a few more returns in your pool and make a whirlpool effect if you want ! :p lol. .

I also purchased mine from "Pool in Floor" , and it was a smooth transaction and very fast shipping. They are still running a low price point of $598. out the door including shipping if you decide to go that route.

Its a great pump, and most people who install them LOVE them. I do !!!
I would just have some reservations if its TOO much pump for your application. You dont have to run it at full speed , but hate to see you waste money for more than you need ! I think , in the end , the energy savings and RPM adjustability of the Superflo VS FAR out weighs any of the downsides (price, and maybe too much pump for you at full RPM) . For a fully featured VS pump, its a pretty good price point actually . Plus the 120v OR 240v switch ability , with the 1.5" plumbing makes it a no brainer.
Its a great pump and very highly regarded on TFP, by a lot of members !

Good luck in your decision !

Hi all, thanks for the replies! This is an older 24' round pool, and I will likely replace it in a few years so I don't want to put too much money into it right now. With that being said, I'd like to spend around $250 - $300 max, so I'm leaning towards a dual speed Hayward SP15922S PowerFlo Matrix 1 HP, since I don't think I'll be able to find any VS in that price range.

Will 1hp be enough on high to clean the pool properly? Will the 1hp pump on low be enough to circulate the water properly? Thanks.

The 2-speed Hayward you are looking at will be a good pump for your pool. On low speed it will be very cheap to run. With a simple set up like yours you really don't need a VS pump. A 2-speed will get you all the energy savings with out spending a ton on the pump. Just remember to run the pump on low speed the majority of the time to keep running costs down.

Thanks for your input on this... it helped me make my decision, and I think it was a good one. I bought the SP15922S 1hp 2 speed pump and installed it yesterday. On high it moves the water just as good as my 1.5hp old one did,but of course uses less electricity doing so. I plan to set it to low over the next few days, and I expect that it will move the water easily enough to keep it clear. I love the 3-setting switch on it: High/Low/Off. Much better than my old pump, so thanks for the input everybody!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.