Pump dead after 6 months!

platon20

Bronze Supporter
Oct 13, 2016
DFW/Texas
Came home today and the pump was completely dead. Control panel dead. No LEDs lit up, nothing, just blank.

Unplugged it, reset circuit breakers, nothing worked. All the other pool equipment is running fine.

Pool company says they will be happy to replace the pump in 3 freaking weeks.

Right now I'm running a submersible pump that is pumping water from the deep end of the pool thru a hose to the shallow part. I dumped as much chlorine as I had into it (about 3 gallons). Right now the water is clear.

I'm thinking about trying to find somebody thru Craigs list or somethinng that I can pay $500 or so (not including pump price) just to come out and replace it.

My question is, what the heck made the pump go bad after 6 months? I run it about 16 hours a day. No prior problems at all with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

A power surge maybe, or lightning hit near by???

Did you actually test for the AC input power to the pump?

You really need to make sure you have 220 volts when you measure between L1 and L2 with a meter, before going crazy and buying a new pump. It should be under warranty, if bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The pool company won't give you the warranty replacement pump for somebody else to install. I'd just keep hassling them to get it done quicker. You can always argue for picking up the pump and either having someone else install or you install, to put a little more pressure on them to get it done quicker!

Update -- pool company says "drive" on motor is bad and needs a new circuit board.

Of course getting a new circuit board under warranty from Pentair is 7-10 days.

I'm not waiting 7-10 days, I'm going to buy another pump and just have someone else (not the pool company) do it in a couple of days.

What's a reasonable amount to pay for install and new pump?

Update -- pool company says "drive" on motor is bad and needs a new circuit board.

Of course getting a new circuit board under warranty from Pentair is 7-10 days.

I'm not waiting 7-10 days, I'm going to buy another pump and just have someone else (not the pool company) do it in a couple of days.

What's a reasonable amount to pay for install and new pump?

If I were you, I'd ask your pool builder what he'd charge you to install a loaner until your intelliflo is fixed. That's going to be way cheaper than buying the exact same pump and paying an install too. Plus, if someone else installs a pump, now you have 2 companies providing warranties and you get into major fingerpointing. You're inviting future anguish if you go your route. If your PB can't install a loaner, ask them to give you 3 other PB's or service comp's that can and will not void any future warranties w them.

Since we live in TX, we have many swim days left, so I understand your need to resolve quickly. Don't neglect the long term outlook - good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.