Gold Supporter
Jun 30, 2023
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey everybody, I just had my sand filter and pump replaced and although it seems to be working well overall, there is a strange crackling noise around the multiport valve when running on high. It also lost prime a few minutes ago, although I did have the pump off for a few minutes prior. It seemed to prime fine and then pressure suddenly dropped and lost prime a few minutes later. I’ve since got it running again and no issues for about 30 minutes so far other than the crackling noise. I read this could be cavitation, what do you think? Is it possible my new pump/motor is too powerful for the filter I have? The updated information should be in my signature but here are some photos. 15psi seems to be the normal operating pressure. I believe the pipes underground are 1.5”, it looks like they connected everything above ground with 2” pipe where they could though. Not sure if that is relevant. And ignore the poor wiring of the motor, I am having it rewired properly tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpeg
    IMG_0291.jpeg
    729.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0288.jpeg
    IMG_0288.jpeg
    639.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0289.jpeg
    IMG_0289.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    525.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0290.jpeg
    IMG_0290.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 5
Hey everybody, I just had my sand filter and pump replaced and although it seems to be working well overall, there is a strange crackling noise around the multiport valve when running on high. It also lost prime a few minutes ago, although I did have the pump off for a few minutes prior. It seemed to prime fine and then pressure suddenly dropped and lost prime a few minutes later. I’ve since got it running again and no issues for about 30 minutes so far other than the crackling noise. I read this could be cavitation, what do you think? Is it possible my new pump/motor is too powerful for the filter I have? The updated information should be in my signature but here are some photos. 15psi seems to be the normal operating pressure. I believe the pipes underground are 1.5”, it looks like they connected everything above ground with 2” pipe where they could though. Not sure if that is relevant. And ignore the poor wiring of the motor, I am having it rewired properly tomorrow.
Haven't seen one of those motors in a long time. It appears to be an 11 year-old motor. Definitely has/had a seal leak. Hopefully the original motor was a 3/4hp (1.25THP) one. If it was a 1hp pump that motor won't last long at its high speed. It's not too powerful for the filter.

Haven't seen one of those motors in a long time. It appears to be an 11 year-old motor. Definitely has/had a seal leak. Hopefully the original motor was a 3/4hp (1.25THP) one. If it was a 1hp pump that motor won't last long at its high speed. It's not too powerful for the filter.
Ah okay, my old one was a Hayward super pump with a 1hp single speed motor I think. So you think I’ll need a new motor? Can I slap a newer variable speed motor on this pump?

Ah okay, my old one was a Hayward super pump with a 1hp single speed motor I think. So you think I’ll need a new motor? Can I slap a newer variable speed motor on this pump?
If its working, don't fix it. That is not the original motor on a Pentair Whisperflo. Hopefully the motor was matched to the impeller. Your original post said the filter and pump were "just replaced." To me that's with new. It may have been your pump replaced, new-to-you perhaps, but definitely not with new. If the shaft seal is leaking it needs to be replaced. The corrosion on the bottom of the front of the pump is an indication that it either is or was leaking.

Reactions: mike.stocker
If its working, don't fix it. That is not the original motor on a Pentair Whisperflo. Hopefully the motor was matched to the impeller. Your original post said the filter and pump were "just replaced." To me that's with new. It may have been your pump replaced, new-to-you perhaps, but definitely not with new. If the shaft seal is leaking it needs to be replaced. The corrosion on the bottom of the front of the pump is an indication that it either is or was leaking.
Okay. Yes apologies, new to me, not brand new. I bought the filter off of facebook marketplace for $250 and the guy had that pump laying around (with that 2-speed motor attached to it) and gave it to me. It seemed better than my old one given that it was a 2-speed but perhaps I jumped the gun on that. This is my first pool and it’s been a mess so far. Broken equipment and crazy amounts of algae. I just started a SLAM today after having the replacement equipment installed over the weekend and vacuuming to waste this morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.