Pump broke - upgrade to variable speed? Which one/how?

Discokatt

Aug 2, 2021
France
Hello,

Our pool pump broke and no servicemen for 2 weeks available here in France, buy a new pump and install ourselves.

1. What do we replace it with?
2. How do we make sure it fits the current pipes/slots in?

Pool/Pump info:
- Pool size: 16000 gallons (in ground)
- Old pump: Hydroswim HGV/HGS 200T (Three-phase, 2hp)
- Pipes: 2" inside diameter
- Filter max flow rate: 98GPM (Pentair TR100)
- Salt water

Thank you!

If you were in the U.S. that decision would be easier, since the law changed July 1 requiring variable speed. Frankly, the benefits of VS are such that for a replacement of a failed pump, it's almost a no brainer. According to Pentair (verified), their pump running at one half speed (1725 vs 3450 rpm) uses 1/8 as much power. the other less obvious benefit is that a pump running at a lower speed is very quiet. Ours runs at 1650rpm, and you have to walk up close to it to hear it at all. As to specific models or install methods...sorry, I'm not a DIY'er.

A VS pump would be a good choice. You'll save energy running the pump at lower speeds. With my pump, doubling speed requires 7 to 8 times more energy. The goal is to run the VS pump at the lowest speed necessary to keep the pool clean. I'm not sure what pumps may available to you in France. Don't worry too much about the pipes not lining up properly. PVC is easy to work with. It looks like your current pump is configured similar to most pumps on the market (suction in front/pressure port on top). VS pumps need to be wired with constant power...no external timer or switch is needed.

Does the three-phase power supply matter or can I buy a standard 220/240V pump?
If there is a neutral wire you can use one of the line wires and the neutral wire to power a single phase motor. You will need to know what the line-to-neutral voltage is before you buy the pump.

You may be able to use two of the line wires to power a single phase motor - again you will need to know what the line-to-line voltage is before you buy the pump.

Another thing to consider: the power for the three phase motor was distributed between the three phases. If you going to use a single phase motor with similar horsepower then the conductors you use must be big enough for that load. It probably doesn't matter for a 2.5 horsepower motor but it needs to be considered.

I am not familiar at all with your electrical codes - that is another thing to consider.

This list: List of Voltages & Frequencies (Hz) Around the World indicates that it is possible but you need to be sure.

He is in France, which has 220V Line to Neutral/Ground. He also states that he has 3 phase which is 400V Line to Line. He is also 50HZ.

To the OP, many of the pool pumps have similar dimensions. Get the drawings of your (from the manual) and find a pump with the same dimensions.

On a pump, I have a 1.85 hp Variable Speed Pump and it works fine for 25,000 gallons (100,000 liters). But a 2.7hp Variable Speed pump is more efficient.

On how it is connected, my pump has a control box on the pump which is programmed. You just provide the power directly to the pump. Most Variable Speed Pumps have an option like this.

Thanks all!

We ended up purchasing a super pump vsdt (SP2616VSTD) for €819.00 - I believe that's the SP2603VSP in the US.

Got a hold of a service man who can redo the plumbing and install it for us, so hopefully he figure everything out. Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the Hayward Tris Star 950 VS very quiet and works like a charm, can set 4 different push button speeds, can set 8 different timers with speed, can set from 600-3400 rpms.

Reactions: mas985
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.