Hillsborough, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
For the past 15 years I have always had a Hayward Super Pump and never had any air bubbles or partially filled pump basket while its on. Today I had a VSP pump installed and seem to be working fine, but when on the low speed, I noticed the basket only about 75% full. Is this normal when running in low speed?

If it is 75% full you have a suction side leak, and risk losing prime. Get installer back.

If you have a pancake size bubble, that grow buts is less than the clear cover, setup your pump to run a high speed cycle once or a few times a day.

None of us can explain it, @Jimrahbe and others think it is because of the low pressure on the lid allowing VERY small bubbles into the pot. Here is a picture of mine after about 12 hours after high speed cycle. It will grow to about 2x in 24. Gone after high speed cycle.

image.jpg

Reactions: jgofnj
My basket never gets as full on lower speeds as it does on high speed and I know I don’t have a suction side leak
I also dont get an air bubble on low speeds but I know some do

Reactions: jgofnj
My basket never gets as full on lower speeds as it does on high speed and I know I don’t have a suction side leak
When you prime on high speed, does the basket get filled to the top of the cover? (i.e. no air visible)? Then when you reduce to low speed air is introduced?

If it's not completely full of water, you DO have air in it.

When you prime on high speed, does the basket get filled to the top of the cover? (i.e. no air visible)? Then when you reduce to low speed air is introduced?
yes when priming, and running at (app) 2000 rpms or higher basket is full, less then 2000 rpms water level drops some, but no air bubble

I'm not quite clear on what you mean by water level drops some. If there is no air when priming and air when you reduce rpm, you have a suction side leak.

Think of it this way. If you are sucking water from a glass through a straw, you would never get air in your mouth unless you ran out of water in the glass, or you lost your seal between your mouth and straw.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Not the best pic, but the water level at 1750 rpms is just above the inlet into the basket, and same height in basket at anything lower then 2000 rpms.
No air bubble(s)
If I turn speed up to 2000 or higher it fills to the top with no air bubble.
I also checked the relief valve on filter and steady stream of water, no air purged out
Excuse the stuff in the basket, we just got back from vacation and it needs cleaning.pump.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get some silicone based lube like Magic Lube II. Don't use PTFE based lube.

Drain plugs are notorious for SS leaks, should have o-rings. Had one this week where member didn't have o-rings! Lid o-ring, if you have never lube valve on the SS, might want to rebuild them. If all that doesn't fix it, and you are sure that water level is high enough, then it is likely a leak in the lines, or your pump shaft seal is bad and needs to be replaced. Can you post a pic of your suction side from the ground to the pump?

This is before my swg install.
SWG is on return line (after heater) and right behind my filter
no leaks at any of the drain plugs, unions, ect.
3-way valves are only 4 years old, no leaking that I can tell
I always use lube on all o-rings.
No leaks at pump, shaft seal is about 4 years old
I only lose an inch or less of water per week, depending on winds and temp

It takes more time but remove the o-ring completely from its captured place under the clear cap (Pentair). Clean the o-ring, the seat under the plastic cap and the flat top of the basket housing. Lube up the entire o-ring and then seat it under the clear cap. Spread a thin film of lube on the flat top before tightening the cap.

You have a 3 way neverlube and a union to the pump. Oly is right. I would do the same with the neverlube and the union to the pump, take out the o-rings, clean the seat and the face, use new o-rings, they are cheap.

Reactions: blazer58
It takes more time but remove the o-ring completely from its captured place under the clear cap (Pentair). Clean the o-ring, the seat under the plastic cap and the flat top of the basket housing. Lube up the entire o-ring and then seat it under the clear cap. Spread a thin film of lube on the flat top before tightening the cap.
Just so I am clear. Are you talking about the plastic cap on top f the basket? I have a super pump so my lid looks like this, . Are you saying I should remove the rubber gasket (??) and lube it?

1655066470577.png

Last edited:
You have a 3 way neverlube and a union to the pump. Oly is right. I would do the same with the neverlube and the union to the pump, take out the o-rings, clean the seat and the face, use new o-rings, they are cheap.
Again, just so I understand I have a three way value (like this). Are you saying I should open up the top and clean it out and add lube (Magic Lube II) to the o-rings?

1655067736093.png

As to the cover, you should be able to remove the o-ring and replace. I believe part number is SPX1600S Strainer Cover Gasket. Manual here. Clean the cover before replacing o-ring.

As to the 3 way valve, yes, there are three o-rings that you can get replacements for it. DO NOT USE A DRILL DRIVER TO PUT BACK TOGETHER. Use a screwdriver. Inspect each of the areas around the screws for cracks too. You can try to lube before replacing, but they are cheap o-rings. Thoroughly clean before replacing and lubing.

Reactions: Oly and jgofnj
As to the cover, you should be able to remove the o-ring and replace. I believe part number is SPX1600S Strainer Cover Gasket. Manual here. Clean the cover before replacing o-ring.

As to the 3 way valve, yes, there are three o-rings that you can get replacements for it. DO NOT USE A DRILL DRIVER TO PUT BACK TOGETHER. Use a screwdriver. Inspect each of the areas around the screws for cracks too. You can try to lube before replacing, but they are cheap o-rings. Thoroughly clean before replacing and lubing.
Thank you. as for the Strainer Cover Gasket. Should that be lubed or just replace the o-ring?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.