League City, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The PB had their plumber come out yesterday and fix the plumbing on my chiller. The new plumbing goes from the outlet on the chiller to the suction side of the main pump. They plumbed in a three-way in front of the pump, and when they did this, they reduced the size of the pipe from 2 1/2 inches to 2 inches back to 2 1/2. Not sure if this is related, but now the pump basket isn't filling up with water. I cleaned out all the skimmers, the pump basket, and filled the pump basket with a water hose, and it still won't fill all the up.

Attaching pics of the three-way and the pump basket.

Update - PB came back saying it's plumbed wrong. They are on their way out now...

Attachments

• Pic01.jpg
    Pic01.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Pic02.jpg
    Pic02.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Pic03.jpg
    Pic03.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: Jimrahbe
So the PB just called and said the plumber can't make it until Monday.

Now I don't know what do to about circulation and the risk of the pool getting off balance and turning green. It's crystal clear now.

Any thoughts on what I should do? The pump basket gets probably a tad over 3/4's of the way full.

The new plumbing goes from the outlet on the chiller to the suction side of the main pump.

TT,

This is the part I do not understand.. :scratch: If that is true, where does the chiller gets is water input?

Show us some pics of how it is now.

You do not have to run your pump to make sure it does not turn green. Just add liquid chlorine and use a brush to kind of stir things up.. You only have to do this for a couple of days..

Thanks,
Jim R.

Reactions: texantoasted
The pictures do not show the plumbing of the valve. Can you get a better picture of how the valve on the suction side is plumbed?

The Chiller output is to be plumbed to the pool (dedicated line) or the pump suction. They are pretty specific in having a company install these that are experienced with them.

In the mean time, add bleach and brush the pool a couple times per day. Should not have any chemistry issues.

Reactions: texantoasted
Here are some more pics showing the run from the chiller to the pump.

You can also see where the outlet was originally plumbed in front of the SWG.

Yeah, an experienced installer would have been nice... A lot of heartburn trying to get it installed correctly after the fact.

Attachments

• IMG-0952.jpg
    IMG-0952.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-0953.jpg
    IMG-0953.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-0954.jpg
    IMG-0954.jpg
    658 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-0955.jpg
    IMG-0955.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 11
Good to know about it not being too big of a concern. I'll brush it a couple times a day and throw in some liquid chlorine.

Thanks for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The three way valve on the pump suction. It appears to be set so you are getting your suction from the pool and not the chiller.

But you have a spa. So where is the suction line for the spa?

Right. We don't have the chiller turned on. So it's only pulling from the pool right now. At least when the pump is running.

I have an IFCS and the suction for the pool and spa are plumbed to the leaf catcher as shown in the attached. Then from the bottom of the leaf catcher it's plumbed to the pump.

Attachments

• 310287FE-1485-4F7E-9759-49E928687541.jpeg
    310287FE-1485-4F7E-9759-49E928687541.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 9
OK == thanks.

Probably best to wait on the plumber to return and fix it. I suspect something is up with the three way valve that was installed.

Probably best to wait on the plumber to return and fix it
Agree... I'm not touching that. I'll have to sit back and wait.

I'm with you on the valve. You can see that the fitting goes over the valve on the bottom and then under at the top. I'm thinking this is the culprit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.