Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello good people of TFP!

We have a bearing out and need a motor replacement. The current pump is a Pentair 340038 (SuperFlo High-Performance Single Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 115/230 Volt, 1 Phase).

While talking to the local pool experts we decided to get a quote for some upgrades. Looking at a Hayward VSP and possibly a Hayward SWG. It was a hard pill to swallow that the pool company is charging approximately a $500 markup on the SWG and ~$300 markup on the VSP. All in all, we'd be looking at around $3700 (parts only). I was thinking closer to $2500.
Additionally, I relayed that we didn't want any Bluetooth or automation features, mainly SWG, and to upgrade from our 1 phase. Does all this sound "normal"?

We are handy enough to do it ourselves, but I know I'd lose out on warranty requirements.

I plan on writing them back, as they provide all the model numbers. Any advice or tips would be helpful.

We recommend a SWG cell be rated at 2X your pool volume. A 40K cell would be barely adequate for your 35K pool.

Hayward SWG maxes out at a 40K cell. The Pentair IntelliChlor has a IC60 60K cell that would give you mode peak chlorine generating capacity.

I suggest the Pentair IntelliFlo VSF 011056 pump for $1750 and the Pentair IntelliChlor IC60 for $1900.

Or the Circupool RJ60+ SWG also $1900.

If you're looking for more cost effective options you could also look at a Waterway pump and a CMP PowerClean 760.

You can wire the SWG to the AUX relay of the pump, see installation manuals and relevant extracts from them below.

The system is designed to power on ONLY when the primary pump is operating and should be wired to the load side of the time clock.

The Auxiliary Load Relay automatically closes when the motor is operating at 2100 RPM so that you can activate an external pool accessory that is dependent on a specific flow rate, e.g., a booster pump, chlorine generator, or cleaner, etc.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.