Pump and sand filter questions......

Jun 6, 2018
Parkersburg, WV
I'm not sure but I might have mentioned some where before about my PSI being pretty low and wondering if that was normal or not but I'm not sure if I did or not so figured I would ask. The pressure gauge we have on it (sand filter) has a 0 and a 5 and then 3 marks between them and it's usually on the 2nd or 3rd mark so not sure what reading that would be but I've never seen it above the 5 and I know I have seen alot of people talking about their pressure being 15, 20, 30 and even above that so i'm wondering could this low of a reading actually be right and how would I even know if it's not normal. It's my boyfriend's pool and he has had it for 2 years and really doesn't know anything about pools or the equipment that makes them work. There's no way to know if it ever read higher than it is now so how would I know if the pump and filter are working right without know that?

We would need to know specifics on the type and size of the pump and the type and size of the filter.
Is it is multi-speed pump that is running on an low RPM? If so, then low pressure is to be expected.

Does the gauge move at all? Does is go to 0 when the pump is off?

We would need to know specifics on the type and size of the pump and the type and size of the filter.
Is it is multi-speed pump that is running on an low RPM? If so, then low pressure is to be expected.

Does the gauge move at all? Does is go to 0 when the pump is off?

I don't know the specifics of it.....I'm thinking it's a Hayward but not really sure. I assume I could get that information off of the actual pump and filter right? I'm pretty sure it's not a multi-speed pump though....and yes I'm pretty sure that it does go to 0 when it's off.....I'll try to check that tonight to make sure.

I was mostly wondering this in reference to the debris that is in my pool all the time even though I run my pump all the time (was doing it because of having a cloudy pool about a month ago but it's clear now so guess I really don't need to run it all the time) but there are also trees around the pool so I guess I'd probably still have debris on the floor of the pool even if i had a brand new pump and filter huh?

The pump and filter are only going to try to skim the debris off the surface (assuming you have a skimmer).
Once the debris has sunk, it would need to be removed by a net or a vacuum or an automatic cleaner.

The pump and filter are only going to try to skim the debris off the surface (assuming you have a skimmer).
Once the debris has sunk, it would need to be removed by a net or a vacuum or an automatic cleaner.

Okay, thanks for explaining that. That makes sense.......and yes I do have a skimmer and the debris on the floor I do remove it by net and/or vacuum.

I searched online and found what I believe is my pump and filter system. I believe it's a Hayward VL Series Sand Filter System (picture below)

419mzgXZ5iL._AC_US218_.jpg

But i will try to check for sure tonight when I get home.........

Does the return just feel strong? If not, there could be some kind of blockage ( if it is not a 2-speed motor on low)

Well I've never really dealt with a pool before so I'm not really sure if it is or not but i would guess that it is. And it definitely is pretty strong after I backwash......

- - - Updated - - -

Do you backwash the filter? If not, try that as a first step.

Yes I backwash the filter and the water flow is stronger than it is before I backwash but I don't think it really changes the PSI any.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems a little low pressure but I’ve seen that range from 10psi to 40psi.

Mine stays constant at 20psi.

I think all setups are different. You can try changing the pressure gauge. Their only $10 and screw on easily.

I thought it seemed a little low too but it definitely catches debris in the skimmer so I'm guessing it's working just thought maybe it's not working as good as it should but didn't know of a way to figure that out

And how would you know what kind of pressure gauge to get and where would you get one from?

I think you might have a bad gauge. They are pretty universal. You could unscrew it and take it will you. There are glycerin ones that are much better than the low quality ones from a pool store ... tftestkits.net sell nice ones for the cost of the junk locally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you might have a bad gauge. They are pretty universal. You could unscrew it and take it will you. There are glycerin ones that are much better than the low quality ones from a pool store ... tftestkits.net sell nice ones for the cost of the junk locally.

And where can you find them at? Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's or what? Also is it better to get a more costly one or does it really matter?

Any of those likely have them ... but like I suggested ... tftestkits.net sells the nice glycerin ones which are much better. You might be able to find glycerin ones locally.

What are you guys using to test the pool water?
How are you chlorinating?

If you are going to order a gauge from tftestkits and do not have a good test kit, highly recommend you pick up the TF-100 also.

Glycerin gauge +++ had 3 cheapie ones that just flat out died with no movement inside 2 years at my inherited swamp.
I didn't bother to look locally, too hard to find specialty items, most retailers would rather carry the cheap and inaccurate stuff you can buy from them again and again.
Mine reads 10 psi on glycerin when it's been backflushed. Really your plumbing and pump setup along with head pressure makes this highly variable per pool.

10% bleach is getting hard to find this year, especially after the July 4th weekend. If you have a Rural King or Ollie's Discount near you I'd try there. Rural King associates in my area have no idea when you ask for chlorine, so take a picture and ask for the multi-pack of liquid SHOCK.

Next I would open the filter up to do the deep clean recommended here and see what you have going on. Some folks have reported less than full filters of sand left over from previous owners who also had no idea about pools. I had to change my sand entirely to get any filtering going on at all. Just watch a few youtube videos and take your time with a powerful shopvac and some good handheld scoops.

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

So I got a new pressure gauge as suggested by someone on this site and even with the new gauge the pressure isn't reading very high. So do you think that it's just normal to read that low or do you think that something could be wrong with my sand filter? I did notice the last time I did a backwash that the hose where the backwash water goes has a little leak but that wouldn't affect the overall pressure of the pump would it? I know a leak in one of the lines going into the filter probably would but I wouldn't think that one on the hose for the water to be backwashed out of would affect it would it?

As long as your pump is running full of water and your flow to your pool is strong, a low pressure is a good thing. Sand filters work best when a little dirty so do not backwash until your pressure rises by at least 25%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.