Clarksville TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I live near Nashville TN and I keep my pool running and open all winter. It looks like we will have prolonged periods of well below freezing temps starting Monday. I survived the major freeze a year ago but I never lost power. Hopefully there is no ice or freezing rain, and it’s just snow. My weather app says 16 inches of snow LOL!

IMG_0717.jpegIMG_0718.jpeg

Last edited:
I live near Nashville TN and I keep my pool running and open all winter. It looks like we will have prolonged periods of well below freezing temps starting Monday. I survived the major freeze a year ago but I never lost power. Hopefully there is no ice or freezing rain, and it’s just snow. My weather app says 16 inches of snow LOL!

View attachment 549024View attachment 549025
I’ll believe it when I see it. Was supposed to have an inch yesterday and got nothing.

Since you experienced some previous freezes, you know the drill. Water moving - good, power out - bad. Ha. It's everyone's fear this time of year. If you elect to leave the system on, just be ready for that Plab B. It could be 1200 noon or 4:00 am, so be ready to pull plugs and insert foam (pool noodle) or plastic jugs in the skimmer if needed. Cover the pad with a blanket and/or tarp. Consider wrapping the exposed plumbing with some insualtion wrap from your local hardware store. Anything like that to buy you some time "IF" the power goes at while you're asleep or away from home until you can assess the power outage duration and/or get things drained. Good luck!

Some of my previous work. Nobody said it had to look pretty. :)

full

full

A small back up generator is a good investment. It's saved me.
We need to use ours to run things in our house like the fireplace blower & the fridge. I sure wouldn’t wanna have to choose between the pool & the house.
I vote Winterize now while it will be 40-60 degrees!
Are we voting? 🤣🤣

Reactions: Newdude
+1. If I lived in a weather limbo area, I'd lower the pool and blow the lines for the occasional spell of hard freezing, while it was still pleasant to do so. It might happen twice a winter and then not again for 3 seasons.

I'd probably end up with blow through gizmos and return plugs to not even have to drain any pool water.

I wouldn't have to juice the FC because let's be honest, it was juiced either way. 😁

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the equipment is above water level, the easiest and simplest option is to drain the equipment of water. No water, no freeze damage.

If you can tarp your equipment/pad, add an incandescent lamp (any old light fixture like a trouble light will do, just be sure it's not an LED bulb) under the tarp to generate some heat. Just be sure to keep it away from anything flammable (blankets or anything else you might use to insulate it).

Looks like southeast TX will get our first hard freeze of the year early next week, with overnight lows in the mid-20s. Not nearly as bad as the 2021 freeze (or even the December 2022 freeze), but worth preparing for nonetheless.

My plan as follows:

-Drain waterfall pump.
-Leave main pump turned on (will run in freeze-protect mode).
-Leave my "power off alarm" plugged in - if it loses power, will activate a shrill alarm that will wake me up so that I connect my tri-fuel portable generator and get the house (including pool pump) running again. My generator will basically run everything in our all-gas house during a winter outage (can run most of the house, including one central AC at a time, during a summer outage).
-Get ready to clean up a bunch of frozen/dead tropical plants...but they'll grow back in the spring.

Last edited:
Looks like southeast TX will get our first hard freeze of the year early next week, with overnight lows in the mid-20s. Not nearly as bad as the 2021 freeze (or even the December 2022 freeze), but worth preparing for nonetheless.

My plan as follows:

-Drain waterfall pump.
-Leave main pump turned on (will run in freeze-protect mode).
-Leave my "power off alarm" plugged in - if it loses power, will activate a shrill alarm that will wake me up so that I connect my tri-fuel portable generator and get the house (including pool pump) running again. My generator will basically run everything in our all-gas house during a winter outage (can run most of the house, including one central AC at a time, during a summer outage).
-Get ready to clean up a bunch of frozen/dead tropical plants...but they'll grow back in the spring.
Do a load test on your genny prior to the freeze.

Reactions: gkw4815
My pool near Dallas is still holding on since being well below freezing for over for three days now. I Think I’m going to winterize it next year as this is giving me all sorts of anxiety. It survived 4 days of the teens last year but is struggling this year. Worried about tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.