Pump and Filter Questions

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Have another few questions about our pump and filter and we hope you can provide some insight. Our pump seems to lose prime and/or trip the breaker every couple of days, especially after heavy rains. This is usually indicated by either a still pool (when breaker trips) or one of our two return lines blowing out air bubbles (the other return line pushing nothing). When breaker trips we assume it’s due to overheating as the water in the basket is usually hot.

Last night we had a t-storm and woke up to see one of two return lines weakly pushing out air bubbles. The skimmer basket didn’t look full but was off center. Tried to backwash to no avail after 5 mins. Checked the pump strainer basket, which had some leaves and debris. Filled up w water to reprime, ran in backwash then rinse, but no flow either way. Reprimed and ran in rinse for two mins, which got the water flowing, but switched to backwash and nothing. We had to run to work so we couldn’t finish troubleshooting but in the meantime the pool is sitting stagnant on this hot day.

Usually after a few tries of repriming and shuffling between backwash and rinse we can get things flowing again, but then after running fine we have to do this again after a day or two.

We skim and check skimmer basket daily, and try to vacuum every couple of days or as needed. Our pool is surrounded by trees which looks nice but contributes to quite a bit of debris and foliage landing in the pool as you could imagine.

Some questions:

What might be causing the pump to lose prime/overheat/trip? Could it be a line getting clogged from debris? My stepdad worries that we might be getting air into the line based on the returns blowing occasional bubbles during normal operation. I’m also a little worried that the pump strainer basket knobs aren’t tight enough, how tight should it be? It looks like there’s no gaps and we try to tighten as much as we can but don’t want to strip the screws.

When restarting, should we backwash first, then rinse? That’s what the manufacturer instructions say but sometimes we find that rinsing first can get the water going when backwash does nothing.

How long should we run the pump in backwash before we try to reprime and start again? We heard it was a minute or two but sometimes we give it 5 minutes or so and nothing.

What would be the best way to avoid/prevent such situations? We just want to get a better read on whether this is normal or if it’s evidence of a problem somewhere in the system.

As always, any advice or insights you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Some thoughts after reading all that.

My first thought was perhaps a clogged skimmer line. Then I shifted to low water level. And then I thought, perhaps the weir is getting stuck by leaves, causing the skimmer to empty, the pump to lose prime, and ultimately trip the thermal overload. If you go out and mess around emptying the skimmer, you might stir things up enough to dislodge the jam.

Here's what I'd do: check pool water level. Then check that the skimmer weir moves freely. Then stuff a garden hose into the suction line at the pump basket, seal it up with a rag, and have a helper turn on the water as I held it in place. If there's any blockage in the plumbing, maybe that'll spit it back into the skimmer. Then I'd grease up the pump lid seal. (It doesn't need to be wrenched supertight. When the pump is running, it'll create a vacuum and pull the lid down. It just has to be tight enough to not leak.) While in the area, check the pump drain plugs for tightness.

Some thoughts after reading all that.

My first thought was perhaps a clogged skimmer line. Then I shifted to low water level. And then I thought, perhaps the weir is getting stuck by leaves, causing the skimmer to empty, the pump to lose prime, and ultimately trip the thermal overload. If you go out and mess around emptying the skimmer, you might stir things up enough to dislodge the jam.

Here's what I'd do: check pool water level. Then check that the skimmer weir moves freely. Then stuff a garden hose into the suction line at the pump basket, seal it up with a rag, and have a helper turn on the water as I held it in place. If there's any blockage in the plumbing, maybe that'll spit it back into the skimmer. Then I'd grease up the pump lid seal. (It doesn't need to be wrenched supertight. When the pump is running, it'll create a vacuum and pull the lid down. It just has to be tight enough to not leak.) While in the area, check the pump drain plugs for tightness.
Hi, turns out we did that and it worked for a short while but now we're noticing that the pump stops working during the day. yesterday it tripped our breaker. I We haven't vaccumed for a few days and it doesn't seem like there's enough debris in there to cause a clog. This is frustrating because this is a daily issue that we have to figure out but it doesn't seem to be working. It can't be normal to have to do this daily, right?? Am I being naiive about pool ownership being surrounded by trees? I'm wondering if something is either wrong with our pump or our voltage but I'm not sure which technician should help with the problem solving.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.