Pump and Filter Advice

JD12

Jan 15, 2019
Puerto Rico
Hello everyone,

I'm purchasing a house with a kidney shaped pool in Puerto Rico. Based on my calculations the pool has 17,300 gallons of water. Features include one skimmer and a spill over from the jacuzzi into the pool. The average feet of head is 50 feet on 2" piping. I will also be using a suction side cleaner or a pressure side cleaner I know that might affect pump and filter size. I am looking for a variable speed pump primarily Pentair or Hayward and not sure of best brands/size for filter are. If it makes a difference I will be installing a Hayward Aqua Rite SWG as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.. A great place to find the answers to all of your pool equipment questions, whether your pool looks like a body part or not... :shark:

An easy choice... I suggest you go with what I believe is the Gold Standard of pool pumps, the IntelliFlo.. There are several on the market, the cheapest is the P/N 011018, which is usually less than $1,000. See this link.. Amazon.com : Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump, 3 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Garden Outdoor

Do NOT buy any pump with the SVRS option.. Not needed and can cause intermittent issues..

VS pumps really should be called variable horsepower pumps, because that is what they are.. You only use the HP you need.. Do not let the fact that the IntelliFlo is listed as a 3 HP pump, stand in your way... it is just not an issue..

The IntelliFlo has 2" plumbing and that is what you want..

You can get other IntelliFlo pumps, with features like rotatable control panel, Variable Flow, or VF and VS, but none of these are needed for most pool owners and just increase the cost.

That said, if you also plan to install automation, it is best if the SWCG, the VS pump, and the automation are all the same brand..

As far as filters go... the bigger the better. The larger the filter, the less often you will need to clean it. I have a large cartridge filter. I have two rent house pools that have DE filters and really, really wanted another DE filter at my house, but code here says DE filters must be connected to the sewer system, which was way too expensive. What I have found, after using the cartridge and the DE filters, is that I now really, really like the cartridge filter better, from a maintenance point of view.. No DE to buy or mess with, and no multiport valve to screw with or go bad. I clean my filters twice a year... Once in the Spring and once in the Fall.. I suspect that I could go for an entire year on the cartridge filter if I wanted.

As a side note.. Please do not install a $1000 pump without pump unions, they look like this... Amazon.com: 2 PACK -CMP Hi-Temp Union 2 Outdoor They make the pump much easier to install and prevent the leaks you often see around the threaded connections.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Jimrahbe,

Thank you for your advice!!! Pentair Intelliflo, surge protector and unions ordered from AMZN and received. Awaiting on a quote from a pool seller for a Pentair Clean and Clear 420 sq ft since I couldn’t find an AMZN seller who would ship to PR. I’m trying to not have to replace the whole light housings and just replace the gasket and put in LED bulbs. By any chance do you know what brand/model light this is? I’ve tried googling it and nothing.

Attachments

• 83AAE20E-0B70-4922-A428-F699447DEC2C.jpeg
    83AAE20E-0B70-4922-A428-F699447DEC2C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 68423E72-A2E7-48C7-91F0-65E36D77ED55.jpeg
    68423E72-A2E7-48C7-91F0-65E36D77ED55.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • E411733A-2FC5-4E6F-831E-449992A59AD2.jpeg
    E411733A-2FC5-4E6F-831E-449992A59AD2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Mknauss,

Thank you!! I didn’t see that Pac Fab at the bottom of the label. I’m guessing this is a pretty old light then. Would you recommend just replacing the whole thing or just switching the gaskets and LED bulbs? Sorry for all the questions. I’m new to this whole pool thing.

I would think you could get gaskets and bulbs.

A great source is InyoPools. Call them. They may have you email the pics to them and should be able to find replacements.

It's an Amerquartz light originally made by American Products (see name on label).

PacFab acquired American Products in 1997.

Pentair acquired PacFab in 1999.

So, the light was probably made between 1997 and 1999.

It's a 200 watt, 12 volt light.

Bulb type is T4 with a GY6.35 base. I think that it takes (2) 100 watt bulbs.

The number after the 'T' is the diameter of the glass in 1/8 inch increments. A T4 bulb, for example, has a diameter of 4/8 or 1/2 inch. "T" means tubular.

The new bulb is listed as T-3 GY 6.35 79131200. So, it's a 3/8" instead of a 1/2" diameter tubular bulb. The base is the same. So, either bulb should work.

79101601 Gasket, 8-3/8 in. lens.

Pentair AmerQuartz 200 Watt 12 Volt Halogen Light

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.