Pump Accident - I Fell on Pump/Filter Setup, now Pump won't start!

Zwrickers

Jun 21, 2019
Louisville KY
So, I was putting JB Water Weld on a hairline crack in my skimmer, all proud of myself, when I lost my balance and feel backwards on top of my pump/cartridge filter housing and knocked them both over. Epic fail. Here is a picture of the damage - cracked plastic 'station', which seems not too bad.....BUT.....now the pump won't start.
1599174567609.png
Upon further inspection, it seems like the electrical wires from the plug to where the wire enters the pump housing got stretched out or pulled, and this little plastic cylinder at the entry cracked. I'm guessing that wires are loose and/or there is some fail-safe that when there's a problem, the pump won't start. Or maybe something worse.....Edited to add that the pump and filter were lying face down on the ground for 10 min. so there was pressure on the end of the pump. I don't know if the wires in the pic below were like that before the accident, or, happened because of the accident.
1599174626433.png
1) How do I safely check what the problem is myself (without much experience w/ pumps), in case it's really an easy fix?
2) Are there pump repair people you call when this stuff happens, and are they expensive enough to favor just buying a new pump? This one is only like 3-4 years old according to the previous homeowner, and funds are tight. But safety is priority.

Any help is much needed. 3/4 of my family are in tears. I can't believe this happened.
Disclaimer: I do not use the Aquasmart station, and, I am aware that the weeds need to be removed ASAP from around my pool area.

Thanks,
Kristin

Kristin,

The first thing I would do is make sure that the GFCI on your outlet or cord has not popped.

I can't tell from the pics for sure, but the wires could be broken loose on the inside of the pump.

If that is the case, I suggest that you find a friend that has some electrical experience to come and look at it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

OMG I just reset the breaker and now I have a pump that is running again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much. I can't believe that I didn't think of that. But I didn't. Hence, this forum.

Now, should I be worried about the electrical wires going into the pump at all, safety wise, based on the way they are in the pic above? I pushed them back up a bit but they are just......there.......

Thanks,
Kristin

Reactions: cowboycasey
Disclaimer: I do not use the Aquasmart station, and, I am aware that the weeds need to be removed ASAP from around my pool area.
^^^^^^ Bravo

Now, should I be worried about the electrical wires going into the pump at all, safety wise, based on the way they are in the pic above?
Its probably ok, but somebody handy should look at it to have a better idea. You have to know somebody, or a friend of a friend that will stop by. Offering a 6 pack never hurts. It looks like that little plastic piece helped keep water out, and also acted as stress relief in case of, well, somebody falling on It. Don't beat yourself up too bad, most of us have done way worse. :)

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.