Pump 1: Communication Lost / Pump Status: No Comm!

Pieroz

Jun 1, 2023
New Jersey
C,

I had assumed this was a new pool, but I now see it is just new to you. If the pumps have been working for a year or two, then it is not a F/W issue. Look at the pump, it should have a date of mfg. on the label. Let us know what it is...

You can't hurt the pump by running it too fast or too slow or for too long.

The pump is normally controlled by the automation from the small black cable that plugs into the side of the pump's control panel. When the automation is in control, your pump's display should say "Display not active".

Since your pump has an RPM display, this means you have lost communications to the pump.

Using your app, turn on the pool light and then go out a visually confirm the light is actually on. Then push the button on the main panel to turn the light off and make sure the app shows the light is off. If this works, that confirms that the RS-485 com bus is still working and that something is wrong on the pump side. Could be the pump or it could be the cable.

1. Check to make sure the end of the cable is connected to the com port inside the automation.
2. Disconnect the cable going to the pump and inspect both ends and make sure there is no corrosion.

If it is not the cable, then the control head is bad. (Assuming everything else on the RS-485 bus is working ok,)

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,
I am having the same problem and I did exactly what you have suggested. Everything checks out and still no communication between the ScreenLogic app and the pump.
You said the control head could be bad. What is and where is the control head ?
Do you think updating the screnlogic interface adapter would help ?

P,

Please let us know what specific automation system you have and what specific Pentair pump you have.

Is this a new system, or has it been working great and now no longer works.

Pics would be great..

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

Please let us know what specific automation system you have and what specific Pentair pump you have.

Is this a new system, or has it been working great and now no longer works.

Pics would be great..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Just opened the pool and was working great. Suddenly got the communication lost error. Reset it multiple times, both outside easytouch panel and inside the ScreenLogic adapter. It is Pentair intelliflo VSF. Got it new last year. Checked the cable on both sides, all look good.
When the pool company came to open it up, they could not prime the skimmer as I did not have enough water. But the app worked and communication was fine. They came back to prime the skimmer yesterday, added salt and hooked the pool vacuum.
Shortly thereafter, got the communication lost error.

P,

What is the F/W version inside the IntelliFlo VSF??? If 3.03 or 3.04 it has a known communication bug. It needs to be 3.05

Put the system into the Service mode and use the pump's display and menu to find the Firmware version...

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

That sounds odd if this is a new pump... :scratch:

You might call Pentair and ask what F/W your pump should have...

When you went into the Service mode, did the pump still have AC power? Or did you have to push the "F" button to get the display to come on?

On this ScreenLogic set up page, what is your pump Type??

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

Yes, on your SL Config app.. You should have two apps.. ScreenLogic and SL Config, under IntelliFlo.

Just to make sure.. You say you have a VSF pump, is that what the label on the pump says or are you just assuming all IntelliFlo pumps are VSF??

Warning... If the pump type is changed, all of the Circuit speeds will disappear and have to be reentered...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

The new protocol adapter is not communicating with the easytouch. Also, I called Pentair and trouble shot the new adapter and the tech guy determined it was the antenna box on the inside. I plugged and unplugged everything, made sure the wires are tight and snugged in.
He said I need a new antenna and they come together inside and out.
I have a part number of 523434.
Any ideas, or shall I call a tech at this point.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4524.png
    IMG_4524.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello Jim, kindly provide me with your feedback. Where can I buy this stuff on my own? It seems that Pentair only sells through a dealer. Is there anything I can do that will allow the automation to work?
Thank you,

Thank you. My present automation ScreenLogic links look different. Would what Allen posted fits my set up ? Is polytech pools a reputable outfit? What if it does not work with my equipment, can I return it?
In this new equipment?
Thank you,
P

Attachments

• IMG_4512.jpeg
    IMG_4512.jpeg
    704.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4521.jpeg
    IMG_4521.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 3
My present automation ScreenLogic links look different. Would what Allen posted fits my set up ? Is polytech pools a reputable outfit? What if it does not work with my equipment, can I return it?
In this new equipment?
P,

You must have us confused with Farce-Book or some other useless site..

Why in the world would we recommend a supplier if they were not reputable??

Why would recommend something that was used and might not work??

The recommend unit is newer and better than the original..

I have no idea if you could return it or not, but doubt it as it is an electrical item..

Sigh!!

Jim R.

I have bought over $10,000 in equipment from Polytec pools without a problem.

Your automation ScreenLogic links is from 2012. Pentair has changed, and improved the design, a few times in the 12 years since then.

P,

While it is likely that one of your ScreenLogic transceivers is bad.. It would be a good idea to make sure before you order anything.

ScreenLogic is an add on and not required to use your EasyTouch.

I recommend that you disconnect the transceiver (antenna) at the EasyTouch by unplugging its 4 pin connector.

Then, with the system in Auto, go look at your pump and make sure the display shows "Display not active".. If it does, this means your RS-485 com port is working.. Your pump then should run on whatever schedules are in your system. I'd run it that way for a few days and see if you get any more com issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support