NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
8F46CD76-0C08-4C4F-A7C2-605CD106D7A6.jpegNot sure if this is the right spot for this…

New pool built this year and first winter with mesh cover. There is an area that accumulates a puddle whenever it rains. The springs are about 1/2 compressed all around so seems tight enough so it shouldn’t sag. Is a puddle like this a problem? Or is it small enough to leave alone?

If this is a mesh cover then you are looking at the pool water surface above the submerged mesh. Not necessarily something to be concerned about unless your water level is too high and needs to be lowered. Peak under your cover and check the water level relative to your tile line and skimmer opening.

The springs are only halfway compressed is a good thing as when the snow weights the cover down some more there will be some give/movement still left via the springs compressing more otherwise some of the hardware starts to deform from pressure.
As far as the puddle it looks like it's over a spa and being in Jersey you want the water off the tile during winter. That's one way to notice water level getting high. Drop a submersible pump into there and pump off whatever is needed to lower. Do not leave the pump in there when the chore is finished.

I checked the water level last week and drained it down a little with a submersible pump so the cover shouldn’t be touching the water surface.

That one puddle is over the shallow end of the pool and not over a spa. It’s only there after it rains. Just not sure if it’s normal to have a puddle like that or if it’s a sign that there’s too much laxity in the straps and therefore sags there.

The water level on the pools surface is the same all over . If the puddle is only on that spot I'd compare the laxity in that spot specific to the closest 2 straps. if need to tighten then up a little bit more that should do it. You'll need to unhook it from the peg before changing the buckles position.

That’s what I was thinking of doing. So basically with a mesh cover I really shouldn’t have any puddles accumulating….correct?

That’s what I was thinking of doing. So basically with a mesh cover I really shouldn’t have any puddles accumulating….correct?
Correct. Puddles can’t collect on a mesh cover. The cover is sagging into the water below or the water is too high. The cover doesn’t look like it’s sagging much so my bet would be on high water level.

I have a brand new mesh cover this year and I get the same puddles. The cover is no where near the surface of the water. I'm guessing that the new material has some hydrophobic properties that will likely go away with time. The new cover is the same material, model and manufacturer of my old 20 year old cover.

Reactions: borjis
There’s no way the cover is near the water surface. I drained it down to about 1/3 from the bottom of the skimmer so it’s probably 8” or so from the top of the concrete. If the cover sunk down 8” to hit the water I’m sure I would notice it sagging that much. Also, the puddle goes away after the rain dries up so since it doesn’t stay all the time it can’t be surface water.

There’s no way the cover is near the water surface. I drained it down to about 1/3 from the bottom of the skimmer so it’s probably 8” or so from the top of the concrete. If the cover sunk down 8” to hit the water I’m sure I would notice it sagging that much. Also, the puddle goes away after the rain dries up so since it doesn’t stay all the time it can’t be surface water.
Weird, it must be a really tight mesh. Rain goes right through mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting observation: If you look back at the picture there's another puddle a few over to the right and that one too ends in the same place in the cover outline. Between the two you can see the mesh is higher then sort of goes back down just where the second puddle is. Maybe its just a low spot of the mesh in both the X and Y of the cover where the water gathers and takes time to get through.

Bperry - it’s a new cover and only been on for about 4 weeks now so maybe it is tight and that’s affecting draining through it… honestly don’t know and just guessing.

That other small puddle disappeared after I adjusted straps a little bit on that side. The bigger one comes back after it rains.

Maybe I’m just bored being at home staring at the cover and noticing things that’s normal. I’ll probably adjust the straps a bit more in that area to see if it goes away.

Always appreciate the help from folks here.

So I adjusted the straps a bit and I think I found out the issue. The anchors against the water fall have hooks supporting a steel cable around it (yellow circles) so there’s a little bit of play there which probably causes enough sag to allow the water to accumulate near the center. The two yellow horizontal marks are the straps in the middle of the pool (longest dimension). After all the adjusting the puddle moved over to the other side. It’s a very shallow puddle and doubt it’s much of an issue and I don’t think I can make it much better aside from having the straps super tight which may stretch things too much. I’ll just make sure it doesn’t sag much more with heavier rain or snow.

Attachments

• 28A7D9B3-2765-4AC4-88C6-4ADDAA16DB7D.jpeg
    28A7D9B3-2765-4AC4-88C6-4ADDAA16DB7D.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.