Public Pool Test

Giving props to the coach!!!
Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: poolnoobgrandma
Is this a community owned pool or is it a privately owned "for profit" pool? If it is privately owned and open to the public for recreational swimming and swim clubs the only incentive the guy has to clean up his act (and pool) is loss of revenue. He can get it in shape for city inspectors and then let it go right back into its unsafe condition. If this is a city owned pool then they should be doing routine inspections and would have performed the needed maintainence. Even if the water gets cleaned up the broken main drain cover is a major violation, and the lack of proper ventilation is going to make someone sick. If this is a city owned or community owned pool and this guy is in charge of maintaining it I would start contacting news media to put some pressure on to make sure it gets cleaned up. Nothing against the coaches but I would be looking for another swim club for my kids, and ask to see the pool's maintainance logs before signing them up.

Is this a community owned pool or is it a privately owned "for profit" pool? If it is privately owned and open to the public for recreational swimming and swim clubs the only incentive the guy has to clean up his act (and pool) is loss of revenue. He can get it in shape for city inspectors and then let it go right back into its unsafe condition. If this is a city owned pool then they should be doing routine inspections and would have performed the needed maintainence. Even if the water gets cleaned up the broken main drain cover is a major violation, and the lack of proper ventilation is going to make someone sick. If this is a city owned or community owned pool and this guy is in charge of maintaining it I would start contacting news media to put some pressure on to make sure it gets cleaned up. Nothing against the coaches but I would be looking for another swim club for my kids, and ask to see the pool's maintainance logs before signing them up.

Thanks for providing your opinions. It is a privately owned health and fitness club. Obviously they have gotten away with a pattern of negligence and deferred maintenance up to this point, we are hoping that a visit from the health inspector and all the corrective actions that will come may be the wakeup call needed. Other than that, the eventual shame will be a very powerful corrective force. Small community.

The coaches are actively taking on great personal risk on behalf of the team and community. Have had hours of conversation this past weekend on the topic. Whistle blowing is not an easy or fun thing, especially within the power dynamics of employment.

Update: We have the owner and his pool "expert" on one side, we have the swim team coaches on the other side, and the health inspector is yet to make an appearance.
:epds:🍿

#Health Inspector: Filed a report yesterday, and called the Environmental Health office multiple times today. I have the case # but the folks in the office couldn't find any record. Was persistent and got the direct contact info of the inspector assigned to the zip code. Called him, left voicemail and email with full details of the complaint. Hoping to get positive contact before T-day kicks in, but might be too late already. :censored:

#Offendor Pool: Pool maintenance guy is dug in and stands by judgement of no big deal / no safety issue. Owner refuses to shut it down immediately and fix things. Waiting until mid December. Word has leaked out into the community and they are getting questions about sanitary conditions from community members and have requested the principals involved in the matter to keep things in confidence. Coaches have shut down the kids swim programs. Conflict is brewing...

Unfortunately with the holidays things tend to get delayed. This guy needs to get dinged before the drain and refill happens so hopefully he'll learn a little bit about running a safe and sanitary pool.

Update!

Exchanged emails with inspector yesterday evening: "I will call them to tomorrow to follow up and instruct them to close until maintenance is completed."

Today: Pool sends upbeat email out to members announcing closure on Nov 28 for 9 days. So the conversation obviously went smashingly well, however I wonder if there was a problem understanding what was likely very clear guidance from the inspector.

Either way, making progress. Word is leaking out to the community on what's going on. Karma is catching up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.