Apr 27, 2021
Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,
just wanted to give a quick PSA to those who are using Clorox's XtraBlu line chemicals for their pool. I've been using the product lime, specifically the chlorine tablets for around 3 years and really haven't had any issues, but for those unaware, they contain a pretty high amount of CYA for what it appears. Not really an issue at first, but once you start getting them built up in your water and the CYA levels build it, they can start to get really high.

If you plan on using these, make sure to keep a close eye on your CYA levels and manage them as needed. They definitely do a great job of lasting in the sun, but make sure to keep a close eye on the CYA levels and check frequently.

I've been forgetting and using another brand of test strips and my CYA levels are out the roof ;)

So yeah, just keep an eye on it. Lol.

Welcome to the forum!
The Blue in their name means they have copper in them too. That is really not good.

sing another brand of test strips
You need a proper test kit - Test Kits Compared. Strips are called 'guess' strips. Your guess is as good as mine how accurate they are.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Mdragger88
they contain a pretty high amount of CYA for what it appears
There's nothing special about the amount of CYA in these products. Trichlor contains 1 ppm CYA for every 2 ppm FC and Dichlor contains 0.9 ppm CYA for every 1 ppm FC. Brand names don't matter, active ingredients do.

And Marty's got you covered on the rest. Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hey everyone! Recently went to the local pool store to get things properly tested as my test strips were showing a high CYA level. They tested the sample I brought in and said it was around 160ppm. From everything I've learned, that's extremely high but they said it was a "great level" and shouldn't be lowered at all.

Just wanted some other thoughts as I've always been told to maintain somewhere around 40-70ppm for sunny climates.

First, as I described above, you need your own test kit to get reliable test results.

See Recommended Levels for the ranges TFPC uses for chemistry parameters.
The pool store has a machine to test it, so I'd say it would be reliable, right? But then again I'm not the expert here. Haha.

I've read the reccomended levels but from everything I see, 160ppm is much too high, so I'm not really sure why they'd say it was perfect? Thoughts?

The pool store has a machine to test it, so I'd say it would be reliable, right? But then again I'm not the expert here. Haha.

I've read the reccomended levels but from everything I see, 160ppm is much too high, so I'm not really sure why they'd say it was perfect? Thoughts?
We will not provide guidance based on pool store tests. So, no, they are not reliable.

They are clueless. To achieve a sanitary pool water, you would need to maintain a FC level of 12-16 ppm with a CYA of 160, if that is even accurate. Once you get a proper test kit, we can provide guidance on how much water to drain and refill.

From everything I've learned, that's extremely high but they said it was a "great level" and shouldn't be lowered at all.
Of course they are going to call it a great level, because they are going to make a killing off of selling you tons of chemicals when your water turns green. After several tries of magic potions and hundreds of $, they tell you that you have "chlorine lock" and need to drain/refill.

Hey John !!! I need you to think of the logical thought process of the pool store. If they teach everybody how to do it the easy and cheap way, they will have no customers. If they capitalize on ‘a sucker being born every minute’ they can fleece you until you’ve had enough in a few years and move onto the next sucker to walk in the door.

It kinda like having the big chain heating oil/propane company do their ‘free tune up’ on your furnace. Do they really want your furnace to run as efficient as possible, or do they want more sales with black smoke coming out of your chimney?

You are the only one with your best interests in mind in both scenarios. We here do as well. We have zero to sell you besides goodwill.

Reactions: Geminisq

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey everyone! Recently went to the local pool store to get things properly tested as my test strips were showing a high CYA level. They tested the sample I brought in and said it was around 160ppm. From everything I've learned, that's extremely high but they said it was a "great level" and shouldn't be lowered at all.

Just wanted some other thoughts as I've always been told to maintain somewhere around 40-70ppm for sunny climates.
A good place to start learning about proper pool care is here.

Hey John !!! I need you to think of the logical thought process of the pool store. If they teach everybody how to do it the easy and cheap way, they will have no customers. If they capitalize on ‘a sucker being born every minute’ they can fleece you until you’ve had enough in a few years and move onto the next sucker to walk in the door.

It kinda like having the big chain heating oil/propane company do their ‘free tune up’ on your furnace. Do they really want your furnace to run as efficient as possible, or do they want more sales with black smoke coming out of your chimney?

You are the only one with your best interests in mind in both scenarios. We here do as well. We have zero to sell you besides goodwill.
Thanks for the reply and time spent helping! I get that, I'm just confused on why they'd want to send me out of the store without buying anything if that was the case. I feel like it would be a better business strategy to try to make a sale now instead of waiting until later on.

I'm going to get a proper testing kit and test it myself. I'll be sure to post the results here when done.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

I feel like it would be a better business strategy to try to make a sale now instead of waiting until later on.
Ever been fishing ? You need to bait them real good before you sink that hook. Then. THEN you got yourself a fish. :ROFLMAO:

They let you win the first couple rounds of 3 card Monte too on the street corner. Plunk down $100 feeling lucky and kiss it goodbye.
I'm going to get a proper testing kit and test it myself
It will pay for itself many times over. And we’ll guide you every step of the way. It’s a pretty sweet deal. :)

Ever been fishing ? You need to bait them real good before you sink that hook. Then. THEN you got yourself a fish. :ROFLMAO:

They let you win the first couple rounds of 3 card Monte too on the street corner. Plunk down $100 feeling lucky and kiss it goodbye.

It will pay for itself many times over. And we’ll guide you every step of the way. It’s a pretty sweet deal. :)
Hahaha, gotcha! Looking at test kits now. Is there something specific you'd recommend? I've been looking at some of the Taylor kits.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.