PSA: Power issues w/ your Dolphin? It could be worn gears

Jul 25, 2017
Frisco TX
Hope this can help other Dolphin owners. Bottom line: for $15 shipped, and an easy DIY fix, I've breathed new life into my A30i with new gears which solved some power issues / short cycles.

Just gave my Dolphin A30i new life. I was having issues where intermittently it would only do shorter cycles, and then power shut off, or sometimes would shut off shortly after start. Took apart to check impeller and treads etc and realized that the motor gear was slipping. You can see in annotated photo below how the teeth of the gear are still pointy but worn (should be full tooth all across but on mine as observed it was higher towards back but worn where it makes contact with wheel)

Replaced this part (9983142) along with the other brush gear you can see at left here (9983123), and voila - I;'m back to getting a full 90 minute cleaning cycle with no power loss. And in seeing the A30 climb the water realized it had been a while since I saw it climb that high so I think the wheel/treads had been slipping for a while.

I would not have thought power issues were connected with the gears but perhaps it has some kind of auto-shutdown if it isn't getting traction or movement.

Dolphin - gears 1.jpg Dolphin - gears 2-annotated.jpg

2 photos comparing old and new (new is screwed in here), you can see the wear and how the old one has a "boot/foot" shape when it should be fully even across the tooth of the gear. As-installed, even the new one is not a totally tight fit so not a surprise that some wear causes slippage.
IMG_2690.jpg IMG_2692.jpg IMG_2694.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SecoSteve
Hi Vic - I thought this would be an easy request to help you out, as I bought them from https://www.eztestpools.com. However, now the product listing for that drive gear is gone :rolleyes: even though I bought it there less than 2 months ago. You can still get the active brush gear though.

I would suggest you reach out to them to see when the drive gear will be back in stock, or email Marina Pools. Another friend is trying to buy a Dolphin and they are all backordered due to shipping issues so maybe that's the case with this part too? Or worst case maybe contact Maytronics directly? Good luck!

=============================
EZTest Pools listings: (603) 382-7010 [email protected]

Product: "Maytronics Gear for Drive Motor Unit 550/Active 10, 9983142"
SKU: 9983142
[link not working at 7-30-21, but ordered from here June 2021]
https://www.eztestpools.com/maytronics-gear-for-drive-motor-unit-550-active-10-9983142/

Product: "Maytronics Active Brush Gear (Z12), 9983123"
SKU: 9983142

[still avail at 7-30-21]
https://www.eztestpools.com/maytronics-active-brush-gear-z12-9983123/
=============================

(also, here is Marina's 9983142 listing: MAY 9983142 Gear for Drive Motor - Marina Pool Spa & Patio)

Thanks Man.. Ez responded and they said it is on backorder until September and Marina I have sent an email to... If i can find them I'm buying 5!! Very strange it isn't even in the parts breakdown. This is the main drive gear, it is bound to wear out over time. Thanks again.. I'll let everyone know if I find them anywhere. This has to be a common problem with these units. Pentair also since they are just private label versions. I have the active brush gear and already changed it, But still has issues I think you have to change both for it to work correctly.

I am having what appears to be the same issue now. Cleaned out both the impeller and the area around the main gear / wheels and found some minor gunk in both areas, but not enough to warrant being the issue. Roberto still runs for about 10 seconds and then shuts off. When I manually rotate the active brush / drive tracks, the teeth on the main drive wheel slip out of contact with the teeth on the main gear very frequently, so I suspect this to be a problem worth fixing. I have located the main drive gear replacement part on Marina's website for $3 each, and it is available, so will start with replacing that. I hope that's the fix and it isn't a motor or electrical issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.