Protocol Adapter Update via Mac

datasound

May 1, 2022
California
Moved from here.
Hello Tasimm and everyone. I could really use your help. I have spent hours trying to update the firmware on this protocol adapter and I just can't get thru it.
First let me say I'm on a Mac a version of the OSX that has worked in the past when it comes to updating the protocol adapters. But this one I'm really stuck.

The power light comes on and when I plug in an ethernet connection the green and yellow LED light up and flash so I think it is taking at a basic level.

It says Firmware version 5.2.713 on the side.

I did the same thing as last time (see below) and no matter what I do the Pentair Brick Update Utility says the same thing.

I have done the triple paperclip reset numerous times in this process. But someone said that doesn't work on firmware this old.

My first question is when I launch the Pentair Brick Update Utility is wait a few seconds and then it populates under LOCAL SYSTEMS with RAM LOADER (192.168.1.17). Does that mean that it is seeing the protocol adapter and that is in fact the IP address of this adapter?

I have tried both directly into my mac and also going through a TP link router and every time it says the same thing

In the router I'm changing the network to be 192.168.2.1 and also 192.168.1.1 and both failed again.
Does the Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 need to be changed?

I then launch the app: Pentair_Brick Update738 and it says:
Local Systems
RAM LOADER (192.168.1.17)
So I select it and then hit START

It gives me the following:
Starting Update Procedure
System type: Edgebrick - Pool
Getting Brick Config...
ERROR: Cannot get brick config

Any thoughts or ideas?

I'm hoping someone can chime in here with some ideas on how I can get thru this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone. I could really use your help. I have spent hours trying to update the firmware on this protocol adapter and I just can't get thru it.

First let me say I'm on a Mac with a version of the OSX that has worked in the past when it comes to updating the protocol adapters. But this one I'm really stuck.

The power light comes on and when I plug in an ethernet connection to the adapter the green and yellow LED light up and flash so I think it is taking at a basic level.

I did the same thing as last time for a different adapter and it worked. But this time no matter what I do the Pentair Brick Update Utility says the same thing.

I have done the triple paperclip reset numerous times in this process. But someone said that doesn't work on firmware this old.

My first question is when I launch the Pentair Brick Update Utility and wait a few seconds it populates under LOCAL SYSTEMS with RAM LOADER (192.168.1.17). Does that mean that it is seeing the protocol adapter and that is in fact the IP address of this adapter? The reason I ask it the adapter never shows up in my listed of attached devices when I'm in the Admin of my router. Only the Macintosh shows up.

I have tried both directly into my mac and also going through a TP link router and every time it says the same thing

In the router I'm changing the network to be 192.168.2.1 and also 192.168.1.1 and both failed again.

When I launch the app: Pentair_Brick Update738 and it says:
Local Systems

Getting Brick Config...

Any thoughts or ideas? I'm hoping someone can chime in here with some ideas on how I can get thru this.

Hello everyone. I could really use your help. I have spent hours trying to update the firmware on this protocol adapter and I just can't get thru it.

First let me say I'm on a Mac with a version of the OSX that has worked in the past when it comes to updating the protocol adapters. But this one I'm really stuck.

The power light comes on and when I plug in an ethernet connection to the adapter the green and yellow LED light up and flash so I think it is taking at a basic level.

I did the same thing as last time for a different adapter and it worked. But this time no matter what I do the Pentair Brick Update Utility says the same thing.

My first question is when I launch the Pentair Brick Update Utility and wait a few seconds it populates under LOCAL SYSTEMS with RAM LOADER (192.168.1.17). Does that mean that it is seeing the protocol adapter and that is in fact the IP address of this adapter? The reason I ask it the adapter never shows up in my listed of attached devices when I'm in the Admin of my router. Only the Macintosh shows up.

When I launch the app: Pentair_Brick Update738 and it says:
Local Systems

Getting Brick Config...

Any thoughts or ideas? I'm hoping someone can chime in here with some ideas on how I can get thru this.
When you launch the updater app it should find your protocol adapter and it's Pentair i.d. and the ip address:
Local systems:
Pentair: XX-XX-XX (192.168.x.x)

The Pentair id is the last six digits of the mac address printed on the side of the adapter.
Your adapter lost it's crucial id config files. The pentair update won't work without them.
Pentair tech support used to try to remote log in to your computer and run a utility that could sometimes restore the mac id config files in the adapter. Sometimes the adapter is just damaged and can't be restored. I'm pretty sure you needed a Windows PC on the network for them to remote access and run the utility. Not sure they'll do this for you anymore - It's been years since I've personally needed the service. They accidentally left the utility downloaded on my laptop and since then I was able to service my clients adapters without calling for tech support. I haven't had the need for a long time. I believe they changed hardware or chips or something and the I see less adapters go bad these days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.