Protecting pool equipment during electrical storms.

DYI-Hacker

Mar 11, 2022
Cape Coral, FL
I am pool illiterate. My pool equipment is taking a beating lately. Everything seems to have broken or is in the process of breaking down. Some of this is simply from wear and tear, but Florida is where I reside, and the electrical storms are frequent and severe, which causes a multitude of problems both in and outside the house. If the weather forecast predicts such a storm is on the way, should I shut down the circuit breakers in the sub-panel of the pool outside?

You should talk to an electrician and look into the installation of a whole-house surge protective device (SPD). These devices are installed at the service panels (one at the main and one at any sub-panel including the pool sub-panel) and they are designed to protect your home from power surges. I have an SPD on my pool panel to protect my pool equipment and I recently installed an SPD style plug receptacle for my refrigerator to protect it after having to drop $600 fixing a burned out Control Board and fan motors.

Also, if you are getting severe power surges, you should talk to your electrical utility and ask them to send someone out to check the equipment in the area. There could be inadequate grounds or old/defective transformers in the area allowing for brown outs and power surges.

On my build I put these bad boys in and I purchased them myself and since the electrician was doing the pool work he put them in for like $200 labor. Siemens FS100. My brother is a master electrician and he told me they are very good.

View attachment 394936
Nice install and pic. If you don't mind I would like to add it to the Wiki page on surge suppressors.

Yeah, those Siemens bad boys are BEASTS and can handle a ton of discharge. Very much worth every penny you paid for them.

Yeah, those Siemens bad boys are BEASTS and can handle a ton of discharge. Very much worth every penny you paid for them.
What is crazy is I just bought them on August 14, 2021 on Amazon and they were $191.40. I couldn't remember so I searched my orders on Amazon and found the order. Today Amazon has them for $302.40 now. Holy Crud I can't imagine building my pool now vs last summer. Prices are going to be insane for everything.

Last edited:
great topic. My house was hit by lightning last year. Casualties were the pool lights, 1 TV, multiple outlets, and any phone chargers that were plugged into the wall. I was wondering if whole-house surge protectors were worth it.
edit: after seeing BM's reply they wouldn't have helped in my case with a direct strike though

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
great topic. My house was hit by lightning last year. Casualties were the pool lights, 1 TV, multiple outlets, and any phone chargers that were plugged into the wall. I was wondering if whole-house surge protectors were worth it.
edit: after seeing BM's reply they wouldn't have helped in my case with a direct strike though
Yes a direct strike you basically need a lightning rod but direct strikes are pretty rare and at the point other than a lightning rod I think you are toast. The more common event is a surge coming through the system, which can be casued by lightning say at pole or transformer a distance away from your home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6XSBChamps
Nothing can help with a direct lightening strike on a home. But lightening storms in general can play havoc on the local distribution systems and cause plenty of voltage spikes. My neighbor recently got a brand new Bosch HVAC system with all the bells and whistles (variable speed fan motors, multistage compressor, electronic expansion valve, etc, etc, etc). The control board on the compressor unit looks fancier than most high end computer servers. She lost the board twice and each time it was due to lightening storms and over voltages. That’s also when my refrigerator got zapped. Nothing else in the house was damaged. She finally got told by Bosch that they wouldn’t cover anymore boards until she had an SPD installed.

Lightening strikes are extreme events, overvoltage spikes can be very common.

I put this one on my air conditioner, it can go through 5 events total and the internals can be replaced.. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M16A7P3

I have been recommending this one for the main house panel https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SBC0LTE
Before that one came out this is the one I bought.. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AQAKRSS

and this one for the pool panel
or this one, whichever is cheaper

And I have these on every single plug in the house.. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W5MYBFJ

The 2020 NEC new section 242 discusses over voltage and the new requirement of whole house surge protection devices (SPD).
SPDs are not: direct strike lighting protection, overcurrent protection, short circuit protection, or ground fault protection.
YouTube with a good explanation.

Have the Siemens First Surge 140's at the main panels, but choose to use the Siemens Boltshield in the pool subpanel as it is installed inside the panel and is a direct plug in like a breaker.
I might have to add that to my pool subpanel outside but maybe overkill but redundancy doesn't hurt.

This is what I replaced my refrigerator receptacle with -

It's a hospital grade SPD. Modern fridges have very expensive control boards in them (most of them range from $400 to $600 just for the part) and so this helps to protect “the brains”. Most fridges route the input power through the compressor motor so that there is a large inductive load to help suppress transients but it's not perfect. This adds a nice layer of protection to save you from a costly appliance repair. You can also use receptacles like this on expensive A/V equipment if you don't want a big bulky plug-strip style SPD.

Last edited:
On my build I put these bad boys in and I purchased them myself and since the electrician was doing the pool work he put them in for like $200 labor. Siemens FS100. My brother is a master electrician and he told me they are very good.

View attachment 394936
online shopping add to cart GIF by Superstore

Any reason for the redundancy? If the SPD is installed at the main service entry the pool sub panel would be protected as well I would assume? I’m asking because I had an Eaton SPD installed at the main service entry but now I’m second guessing if I need to consider adding the Boltshield in my pool sub panel which is all Siemens breakers.

Any reason for the redundancy? If the SPD is installed at the main service entry the pool sub panel would be protected as well I would assume? I’m asking because I had an Eaton SPD installed at the main service entry but now I’m second guessing if I need to consider adding the Boltshield in my pool sub panel which is all Siemens breakers.

SPDs work best as point of use devices. The further you are away from the SPD the more likely a transient can build enough voltage up to cause damage. Sometimes a pool sun panel can be a hundred feet or more away from the main panel (mine is 150ft) and so the proper placement of the SPD is at the pool panel and, if I want, at the main.

Voltage surges from lightning can enter your electrical system from wiring other then the main service. The voltage surge may hit your pool sub panel without having gone through the main service panel.

SPDs work best as point of use devices. The further you are away from the SPD the more likely a transient can build enough voltage up to cause damage. Sometimes a pool sun panel can be a hundred feet or more away from the main panel (mine is 150ft) and so the proper placement of the SPD is at the pool panel and, if I want, at the main.
Understood, however, this seems to negate the purpose of a whole home SPD then at main service entry. I am not trying to argue or disprove your point but why pay for a whole home SPD then if you're saying the further away from the SPD a device is located the less protection it receives? This would tell us we need a SPD at every single outlet in our home for every single connected device and the whole home SPD is just a "make you fell better" device and we should all go purchase SPDs for every outlet in our homes. The "selling point" of a whole home SPD is you install it at service entry (outside before your house main breaker panel, or as the first device inside in your main house breaker panel) and it will sacrifice itself before allowing the over voltage/spike to harm devices further down line. Why buy whole home SPD then if we need to install another SPD down the line for protection...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.