Protecting covered and unwinterized pool from freeze damage while awaiting closing

schwim123

May 24, 2022
Franklin, KY
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m getting ready to do a “soft closing” by vacuuming out my pool, adding polyquat, and putting my mesh cover over my pool so I don’t have to continue battling leaves until closing day on November 3rd. I spoke with my pool service company, and they claim that they can peel back the cover and winterize the returns and skimmer without removing the cover completely.

After looking at the extended forecast, I’m concerned that the lows are going to drop down below freezing at night occasionally before the pool is winterized. If the forecast is calling for lows below 32 degrees some evening, do I need to run the pump overnight to prevent freeze damage or will we be okay as long as the water temperature hasn’t dropped below 32 yet? If we need to run the pump at night occasionally, could this filter out the polyquat?

Running the pump will not filter out the Polyquat 60.

To understand when you need to worry about the pool or equipment freezing read The Physics of Freezing and Freeze Protection.

Running the pump overnight when temps may drop below 32F is an insurance policy.

I run 24/7 in the summer at a very very low speed. When it gets at 32 or lower at night I bump my pump speed up to 2000 rpm to keep the flow going to be safe. If I didn’t would I have an issue I doubt it but Im a worrier. Those who know me here know how I am. Lol. Listen when the nights are 32 for even multiple days the ground isn’t frozen so I’m theory your pipes with water in them should be fine. I have done what you are doing. I close usually mid November. If I’m having leaf issues me and my buddy throw the cover with the pool still in service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.