Prosper, TX - New Build Project

Tatino80

Apr 1, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Hi Everyone - Just starting the process of talking with builders and having designs drawn up. Found this site while doing research and have already learned quite a bit. Reading the different threads on here and after talking to two different builders, it does seem that builders in the area are very quick to steer you away from salt water. However, the threads on here seem to indicate that the issues they bring up are overblown. So still trying to decide to go with salt or not, we do have one kid that has had some skin issues in the past. We like the look of a travertine deck/patio floor and do have cast aluminum patio furniture, which the builders have told us would get pretty damaged from the salt.

We are thinking of doing geometric with a raised spill over spa and a wall at the back of the pool to provide a nice view from the inside of the house. We have three young kids and think a large tanning ledge would be good for them to splash around in for days that they don‘t fully get into the pool. Depth wise, builders we have talked to so far recommend a 3-5-4 arrangement.

Attached are a few pics of the first design we have received. The patio in the picture is a little different our actual patio because this particular builder is advising us to take out a center support post to have a better view. Seeing the pictures we agree, but haven’t received a quote yet so will be curious to see how much that adds to the build.

Happy to hear any comments you have on this particular design and any thing we should be thinking about now while we are still very early in the process. I’m most interested to hear thoughts on things that are better to do now, even if it adds to the cost a bit, that are much more expensive or difficult to do later.

Thanks

CC476376-0278-4851-81D9-81B0383BBBEB.jpeg72289BE9-4611-4F87-8BC5-CA556794CCE1.jpegC38BBFBD-45B5-4CCA-B562-CD9ABC00B0BA.jpegD966F9B2-4DAE-49E0-ABAE-1D9B1309D82B.jpegD2E72AF2-071B-4037-8782-B37A3E8542C6.jpeg7F2DE911-A6FF-4ECE-9395-717E410934A1.jpegB90BE321-8516-4020-907A-FA6BA5FB0EE5.jpeg

Very nice design. I like the curved wall on the back. The only design idea I would consider is to add a step below the tanning ledge, or maybe even a series of steps. Adding at least a single step would provide a nice long sitting area that has the water at waist level or deeper.

As for salt vs traditional, I’m in the process of building a pool and went with salt. My system will have both a salt chlorine generator and an in line chorinator. FYI, a salt generator is only around $300 (depending on size and model) and the inline chlorinator is less than $100. Don’t agonize over it - install both and you can always switch from one type to the other if you feel the need. In other words, salt is not an irreversible decision, and it really shouldn’t add much to the price.

But my prediction is that if you choose salt, you’ll stay with it. My pool builder recommended against it, but everyone I know who actually has a salt pool really likes it, particularly those that take care of the pool themselves.

I currently, have three saltwater pools and would just as soon fill them in, rather than give up the saltwater.. :mrgreen:

I have had no saltwater problems in the combined 20 years that I have owned them.

I would pick saltwater over any other consideration.. Although I don't believe saltwater causes any damage, if it did, I would prioritize saltwater over any type of coping.. In other words, if your pool builder's main problem is the travertine, then I'd pick a different type of decking..

I have 9 pieces of cast aluminum deck furniture, none of which have any signs of corrosion after about 5 years. I find your pool builder's comments to be almost comical..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I currently, have three saltwater pools and would just as soon fill them in, rather than give up the saltwater.. :mrgreen:

I have had no saltwater problems in the combined 20 years that I have owned them.

I would pick saltwater over any other consideration.. Although I don't believe saltwater causes any damage, if it did, I would prioritize saltwater over any type of coping.. In other words, if your pool builder's main problem is the travertine, then I'd pick a different type of decking..

I have 9 pieces of cast aluminum deck furniture, none of which have any signs of corrosion after about 5 years. I find your pool builder's comments to be almost comical..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks - I’ve seen your posts about saltwater in other threads and your comments are actually what’s given me more confidence in going with salt. When I asked the first builder about it, his first response was “If you’re planning to be in this house for more than 5-7 years don’t do it”. When someone makes comments like that, I immediately wonder what their motivation is. From what I seem to read here it can’t be profit as the difference didn’t seem material. Maybe he just doesn’t want the headache of a customer that thought saltwater means zero maintenance?

Maybe he just doesn’t want the headache of a customer that thought saltwater means zero maintenance?

I suspect that is true. My guess is that 75% of saltwater pool "failures" are really homeowner failures and have nothing to do with the saltwater system itself..

One major problem with saltwater pools is that the homeowner needs to be involved with his pool's maintenance and understand how the system works. Too many pool builders have no clue how they work, and of course then can't educate the pool buyer..

Not all pool builders, here in the DFW are have problems with saltwater system. Only the uneducated.

With a pool and spa, you will need an automation system to operate the pool.. It makes the most sense for this system to include the salt system, and not try to add it later as an after thought.

Although saltwater pools are the easiest to maintain.. they also require the pool's owners to know much more about how their pools work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I suspect that is true. My guess is that 75% of saltwater pool "failures" are really homeowner failures and have nothing to do with the saltwater system itself..

One major problem with saltwater pools is that the homeowner needs to be involved with his pool's maintenance and understand how the system works. Too many pool builders have no clue how they work, and of course then can't educate the pool buyer..

Not all pool builders, here in the DFW are have problems with saltwater system. Only the uneducated.

With a pool and spa, you will need an automation system to operate the pool.. It makes the most sense for this system to include the salt system, and not try to add it later as an after thought.

Although saltwater pools are the easiest to maintain.. they also require the pool's owners to know much more about how their pools work.

Thanks,

Jim R.
This site and the members already seem like a tremendous resource. I’m usually one to over research and really enjoy when I can find a community of enthusiasts willing to help the newbie.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe those are called the "Dallas" foothills.. They are painted on the sides of all the toll roads... :mrgreen:

I too like the geometric one better..

Jim R.
The one with the tanning ledge closer to the patio results in a tanning ledge that is 17’x5’6” with a pool that is 27’x13’6”. Or we have another design from a different PB that has the spa and tanning ledge stacked off to one side of the pool. This would mean we can have a wider pool, but the tanning ledge eats into the length of the pool so may have to extend it. Does 13’6“ seem too narrow?

I actually like both designs just not sure what makes more sense from a functional standpoint.

9558CE40-BA7E-446A-81E9-7F8370A2F7FB.jpegDC5BA850-C582-47BE-9EB2-365A1716D5C7.jpeg

One more design option. We are thinking of having a fire pit so asked this PB to show us a design that included one. Will have the others update as well. Not sure I like how it looks like we lose a corner of the pool the way he has the cut in on the right side with the chairs shown.

B5276276-BB2E-41F8-9F9C-CE9CC1A38D19.jpeg80A6B27F-38D6-4E06-B000-69B23D25C5E6.jpegB4D3DEE0-8012-43F5-931E-946D4B672881.jpeg

I am not the one to ask about tanning ledges.. My pool is only 22 x 25 and it takes up my whole back yard.. I wanted a place to swim, so I had no space for a tanning ledge... Everyone is different, and you should buy what works for you.. Even if I did have the room, I doubt I would ever use a tanning ledge.. My wife and swim and float and that gets us plenty of tanning. :mrgreen: Keep in mind we are both old as dirt and there are no little ones running around.

Same thing goes for a gunite spa.. If they work for you, then you should get one.. That said, about 50% of the people that buy one, only use it once or twice a year, if at all.. If you have never used a gunite spa, then I suggest that you use one, before you buy one..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am not the one to ask about tanning ledges.. My pool is only 22 x 25 and it takes up my whole back yard.. I wanted a place to swim, so I had no space for a tanning ledge... Everyone is different, and you should buy what works for you.. Even if I did have the room, I doubt I would ever use a tanning ledge.. My wife and swim and float and that gets us plenty of tanning. :mrgreen: Keep in mind we are both old as dirt and there are no little ones running around.

Same thing goes for a gunite spa.. If they work for you, then you should get one.. That said, about 50% of the people that buy one, only use it once or twice a year, if at all.. If you have never used a gunite spa, then I suggest that you use one, before you buy one..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, for the feedback. We have a 7, 4, and 1 year old so I’m thinking we would benefit from a tanning ledge for a while as an area for them to stand and splash around or just play when we don‘t necessarily want them in the pool.

What are the complaints with gunite spas? Are they uncomfortable?

Looks great 80!

I just got a new saltwater pool going outside of San Antonio and absolutely loving it! Pool and spa in first post look very similar to what I have, except I'm very jealous of the lounge chairs in the pool. You're going to love your salt system, it's the only way to go IMO. When you start looking at equipment, I have some recommendations after just completing so let me know and I'd be happy to help out.

Looks great 80!

I just got a new saltwater pool going outside of San Antonio and absolutely loving it! Pool and spa in first post look very similar to what I have, except I'm very jealous of the lounge chairs in the pool. You're going to love your salt system, it's the only way to go IMO. When you start looking at equipment, I have some recommendations after just completing so let me know and I'd be happy to help out.
Thanks - still trying to narrow down the design options but will absolutely share the equipment listing to make sure we are on the right track for a TFP

What are the complaints with gunite spas? Are they uncomfortable?

A lot depends on the user.. If 50% hate them, then 50% love them.. I find that they are not at all like a standalone spa from a comfort point of view. I like being able just jump in my spa on the spur of the moment, and not have to wait an hour for it to warm up. I like the additional jets etc.

That said, I am not saying don't buy one, I'm just saying why spend $20K on something you might not use.. If you have been in a gunite spa, and like them, it is all the more reason to buy one. If you have never been in one, it just make sense to know what you are getting before parting with your money.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.