Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi Everyone... well I've had my pool for a few years now and I am planning my "first" real plumbing tweak. For spa bypass valve (pictured with red arrow) I want to remove manual ball valve and replace with Jandy two way valve and Hayward actuator (as other 3-way valves pictured).... is there an easy way to shut off water to this bypass line? Or will I have to drain pool below skimmer and return jets to ensure no water flows?

I did a search and didn't locate any posts which would confirm my thoughts, so I'm reaching out now. Of course I could just experiment, but I have enough excitement in my life right now.

Thank you all for your help!

IMG_5675.jpg

1. with the pump off and you take the pump lid off, once the filter is empty does water come out of the pump?

2. Is the pool below the pump pad?

If you answer no to 1 and yes to 2 you should be good to cut away :)

1. with the pump off and you take the pump lid off, once the filter is empty does water come out of the pump?

2. Is the pool below the pump pad?

If you answer no to 1 and yes to 2 you should be good to cut away :)
Right on. Thanks for your help! EDIT: I just completed it and it went smoothly. I guess the biggest problem was me not understanding pool plumbing... I thought there was always water in those pipes. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.