Proper settings for a Pentair VSF Intelliflow pump in southern California to prevent algae?

JohnKDavis

Sep 18, 2022
Murrieta, California
I live in a hot, dry part of southern California where temperatures are often above 100 in the Summer. I have a Pentair VSF Intelliflow pump. My kidney-shaped pool is roughly 35 feet long, 15 feet wide at the widest, and six feet deep in one end.

The guy who does a weekly chemical treatment for my pool told me yesterday that, during the warm months in this part of southern California, the pump MUST run at 3450 for several hours a day or I'll get algae. He was adamant about it to the point of arguing with me about this on the phone.

I had set the pump to run from 7 am to 2 pm at 1750 and then 2 to 4 pm at 3250 (I'm trying to keep my electric bill down); he insisted this would lead to algae problems.

I read a couple of articles in Pool Schools and skimmed a couple of threads, and I have the impression that most of you would say that preventing algae is a matter of chemicals, so long as the water is recirculated at least once a day (?), and that it doesn't matter how fast the pump runs when it does so.

I'm new to pool care and this forum. Am I understanding the threads and pool school articles correctly? My impression is that they say my chemical guy is just wrong, and that I can run the pump at low speeds even in high temperatures in the southern California desert.

Is he wrong, or am I?

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks-- John

Welcome to TFP! Please go to the signature section of your TFP account and add pool size and equipment data. It will help all the volunteers here provide you more accurate advice.

Your pool guy is sort of wrong. The only thing that prevents and kills algae is the sanitizer chemicals (TFP recommends chlorine) in your pool. Water circulation distributes these chemicals evenly throughout the pool thus preventing algae growth. (BTW, my pool is of similar dimensions and I run my Pentair VSF pump at 1600 rpm for 8 hours/day.)

Suggest you read the Pool School section of this forum. Pool School

You will gain a much clearer understanding of how to care for your pool. Once you've begun testing the chemistry on your own and understanding exactly what your pool needs to be clean and clear, you'll ditch your expensive pool service. Good Luck!

I read a couple of articles in Pool Schools and skimmed a couple of threads, and I have the impression that most of you would say that preventing algae is a matter of chemicals, so long as the water is recirculated at least once a day (?), and that it doesn't matter how fast the pump runs when it does so.

If you maintain the minimum level of FC following the FC/CYA Levels and the FC never falls below the minimum then the water needs NO, zip, zero, NADA, circulation to stay algae free.

Pump circulation will mix chemicals and provide skimming and ensure that the water chemistry is consistent in the entire pool. It does nothing to prevent algae.

Pools turn green with their pump running if they have insufficient chlorine.

It is up to you what you want to do about your pool guy. If he is that ignorant about water chemistry your should be skeptical about anything else he suggests.

John,

Your pool guy is an idiot.

The speed of the pump, or the number of times water passes through your filter, has nothing to do with getting algae.

Obviously, you have to have some circulation, but having the proper relationship between your chlorine (FC) and they Stabilizer (CYA) is what keeps your pool sanitized, clear, and algae free. See this chart. FC/CYA Levels

I run my IntelliFlo VS pump at 1200 RPM most of the time and I have never had algae.

Why do you have a pool guy? I have three pools and no pool guy.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jsygrls
Thanks, guys! You've confirmed my understanding of the threads and pool school articles. It seems I need to ignore my chemical guy.

(I use a pool guy only because my wife insists on it. Long story which has yet to reach its conclusion.)

And thanks for such prompt responses. This is a great forum. I'll be back for other issues from time to time, I'm sure.

John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.