Proper closing water level with liner over steps

md2881

Sep 29, 2019
New Jersey
This is the first year closing my pool in a new house. I have an in-ground pool with liner over the pool steps. The liner was just replaced this past June. Someone told me that I should always keep water level above the top step to prevent the liner on the top step from drying out and shifting. The pool company I'm using to close the pool told me that I should lower the water level 2" to 4" below the skimmer box. This will put the water below the top step. Is it safe to lower the water this much? I am using a solid safety cover with a cover pump over the winter if that matters.

Where does the water level come up relative to the skimmer if you just keep it on the lower step?

Your pool will likely get runoff that will raise the water level during the winter. Chances are the water will cover the step by the time you open it in the Spring.

Last year we had so much rain during the winter I needed to pump out my pool twice to keep the water down.

Where does the water level come up relative to the skimmer if you just keep it on the lower step?
Thanks for the reply. The top step is pretty much at the same level as the bottom of the skimmer opening. If I leave water on the step it will be about 1" to 2" above the bottom of the skimmer opening. Or about 8" below the top of the pool.

Your pool will likely get runoff that will raise the water level during the winter. Chances are the water will cover the step by the time you open it in the Spring.
This is a good point. I guess it's best to leave some room for the water level to rise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.