Bbp

Jun 3, 2016
md
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I just replaced our old single speed pump with an Intelliflo VSP.

I have been running the pump at preprogrammed rpm setting 4 which I believe is 3300 rpm (or close) for 3-4 hours during the night. During the day I run it at the same speed as needed to cleanup the pool. SWG displays the salt level as 3200 and holding there. This is our 3rd pool season. The original owner had the SWG setting at 80%. We haven't changed it and never turn it off.

I don't know what RPM is needed to make the floor popup jets work properly. So any help programming the pump and SWG would be great.

I would also be open to replacing our old Mineral Springs SWG with the Intellichlor or whatever is recommended to run with the Intelliflo and add some sort of programming Screenlogic? for easier setting and programming.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice,
bbp

Manufactures of in-floor units will typically have a minimum manifold (dome with pressure gauge) pressure that needs to be maintained. So if you know who the manufacture/model is, you can look up the pressure. But typically it is around 20 PSI which means the pump is going to need to be near full speed to work properly. Once you know the pressure, you can adjust the RPM to get that pressure. Also, it will normally take 2-4 hours to clear the floor so you may not need much more run time than that for the pump but it will depend upon what the SWG needs.

bbp,

Starting at the bottom... ScreenLogic is a program/app that allows you to control a Pentair EasyTouch automation system. It can't be used by itself..

You just need to experiment to see what pops up... :p Set the pump to run at a low RPM and try the in-floor jets and see if they work.. If not add 200 RPM and try it again.. keep going until they work the way you want and then add 100 RPM, just to make sure.. No one here will be able to tell you what that speed is...

It does not make any sense to me to run the IntelliFlo at 3300 RPM... Why not just have a single speed pump??

The whole point of having a VS pump is to run as slow as you can and still get the job done.

Play with it and see what works for you. You can't hurt anything.

As a reference, I have three speeds that I normally use each day. 1200 to generate chlorine, 1500 to help with skimming (30 minutes - 4 times per day), 2800 for the waterfall (15 minutes as day)

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thank you both for the advice. Now I have an idea of what I should be doing. I didn't think running it on high made any sense, but wasn't sure what else to do. Now I need some free time to experiment.

Depending on the in-floors you may not need to run at that high of a pressure-- I think that's just a "will always work without thinking" value. I went and looked up the GPM requirements for the inserts in my heads and tuned the RPM with my flowvis to hit 20% more on the circuit with the most GPM need to compensate as the filter gets dirty. Caretaker valve now shows ~5PSI which is enough for my heads to pop and rotate properly. I ended at 2100RPM, ~400W, a huge savings over full bore. I use the "in floor" speed and cycle for as long as I need to generate using the SWG since it's not much faster than I need to make the intellichlor reliably trigger flow.

You really need to figure out two critical speeds before you can decide how to program your pump. The first is the pump RPM required to reliably pop up your caretaker heads and produce enough flow to clean your pool. Make sure the heads pop all the way up so that they will properly rotate when they return. The second item is the pump RPM required to close your flow switch on your SWG. Once you know these two values, you can add 100RPM as a fudge factor.

Personally, I run my Intelliflo at 3000rpm for 2 hours each day. This provides great flow for my caretaker heads and keeps the pool very clean. Great skimming also at this setting. I then run an additional 10 hours at 1400rpm. This easily closes my flow switch and allows my SWG to produce chlorine for a total of 12 hours each day. All of this at a fraction of the cost of my old 3hp single speed pump.

I have the pump set at 2050 rpm. Gauge on filter canister reads 8psi, paramount gauges- one reads 8psi, the other 3psi.

I need to watch the caretaker popups longer, but the ones in the deeper water seem to be coming up all the way and the ones in the shallow water only part way.

I have the pump set at 2050 rpm. Gauge on filter canister reads 8psi, paramount gauges- one reads 8psi, the other 3psi.

I need to watch the caretaker popups longer, but the ones in the deeper water seem to be coming up all the way and the ones in the shallow water only part way.

If they only pop up part way, the caretaker heads will not rotate properly. You will need to increase your pump rpm to the point where all zones pop up fully and have good flow. Then you can determine how many hours at this pump rpm you require to adequately clean your pool.

If they only pop up part way, the caretaker heads will not rotate properly. You will need to increase your pump rpm to the point where all zones pop up fully and have good flow. Then you can determine how many hours at this pump rpm you require to adequately clean your pool.

Looks to be working at 2300. Now to see how long it takes to clean the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.