problems with salt water

Rhonda222

Jul 23, 2023
Wollongong, AU
Has anyone had issues with ear aches from salt water. I have never had issues with chlorine pools but I know going into the ocean hurts my ears.
Also with an above ground pool the sides are metal and how likely are they to rust with salt water?

thanks to any and everyone that responds

The salinity of the ocean is about 30K ppm. The salinity of a salt water pool is about 3K ppm. Most chlorine pools are between 1K and 3K ppm. A chlorine pool, is a salt pool. When you add chlorine, you will be adding salt. It all depends on the amount of chlorine you add, the amount of overflow/splash-out, and the amount of fresh (re-fill or rain) added. There really is little difference between a chlorine pool and a salt water pool. And, both are about 10x less salt than the ocean.

As you can see above, there really is not difference between a salt water pool and chlorine pool from a salt concentration perspective, so rusting will be consistent between the two.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
PoolStored.

Reactions: Mdragger88
A salt pool is a chlorine pool -
No issues with such low levels of salinity & everything being balanced.
Swcg pool is around 3000 ppm of salt
The ocean is around 35000 ppm of salt.
There is a risk of corrosion for all steel wall above ground pools swcg or not. It’s recommended to have resin top rails as those are the part of the pool most likely to actually come into contact with the salt water/chlorinated water.
All forms of manually added chlorine add salt to the water, as well as muriatic acid, calcium chloride, & of course the sweaty people who use the pool 😁
Depending upon how often water is exchanged many pools end up with enough salt to operate a swcg after several years.

I only know what I've read, and have owned a 16-year old pool with SWG for 3 years. The salt in a SWG pool is at least 3000x less concentrated than the ocean. It can't even be tasted. Many chlorine pools have as much salt as "salt pools." Adding liquid chlorine is also adding a little salt. Over time it builds up. I'd conclude your ears are safe. But as I said, I'm no expert.

The salt in a SWG pool can theoretically slightly increase the potential for corrosion, but I've never noticed any corrosion around my in-ground pool. If you use liquid chlorine - which is the SWG alternative - you probably have the same risk as explained above. A chlorine pool is a salt pool and vice versa.

I want to thank everyone who has responded. I have been thinking of upgrading the pool as it is about 16 and several things are starting to deteriorate. A new one like what I have is now coming with salt as opposed to chlorine and I wanted to make sure I wasn't in for trouble by the switch. Thanks so much. Greatly appreciated
Rhonda

I want to thank everyone who has responded. I have been thinking of upgrading the pool as it is about 16 and several things are starting to deteriorate. A new one like what I have is now coming with salt as opposed to chlorine and I wanted to make sure I wasn't in for trouble by the switch. Thanks so much. Greatly appreciated
Rhonda
You can't just add salt and not use chlorine. The purpose of adding the salt (sodium-chloride) is so a salt-water chlorine generator (SWG) can convert it to chlorine. Without an SWG you will end up with a very green and unsafe pool.

Has anyone had issues with ear aches from salt water. I have never had issues with chlorine pools but I know going into the ocean hurts my ears.
Also with an above ground pool the sides are metal and how likely are they to rust with salt water?

thanks to any and everyone that responds
Although both types of pools have pros and cons, it seems saltwater pools are better for your health and the environment overall. According to HGTV, saltwater pools use much less chlorine than their chlorinated counterparts and don't use other harsh chemicals that can harm your well-being.
Also, the system in a saltwater pool and its "pool-grade salt" are also less costly. The system "naturally helps prevent algae" from growing in the water, so you don't have to buy chemicals. "You will still need to use balancing chemicals, but this will be less than traditional chlorine," said Stewart Vernon, COO and founder of America's Swimming Pool Company, to HGTV.
Plus, the salt could be good for allergies. "When fine salt particles are inhaled, they will fall on the airway linings and draw water into the airway, thinning the mucus and making it easier to raise, thus making people feel better," said Dr. Norman Edelman, Senior Scientific Advisor to the American Lung Association to the association's blog. "Also, these environments are allergen-free and thus good for people with allergies affecting their lungs."

Not specifically bout ears but ya get the idea

Although both types of pools have pros and cons, it seems saltwater pools are better for your health and the environment overall. According to HGTV, saltwater pools use much less chlorine than their chlorinated counterparts and don't use other harsh chemicals that can harm your well-being.
Also, the system in a saltwater pool and its "pool-grade salt" are also less costly. The system "naturally helps prevent algae" from growing in the water, so you don't have to buy chemicals. "You will still need to use balancing chemicals, but this will be less than traditional chlorine," said Stewart Vernon, COO and founder of America's Swimming Pool Company, to HGTV.
The
FC/CYA Levels chart should still be followed for manually chlorinated & swcg pools - the fc requirements are the same (2-5ppm/day fc consumption on average) except that the swcg cell doses your pool for you.
I dunno about better for your health - if both are managed properly your health should be the same as they are both chlorine pools.
You will buy less chlorine to add to the pool because you already bought it upfront when you purchased the cell (8-10k hours worth).
As far as the environmental factors 🤷‍♀️
You’ll definitely save gas ⛽️ driving to buy chlorine because you’re making it in your backyard 😁 the rest of the impact- not sure.
Plus, the salt could be good for allergies. "When fine salt particles are inhaled, they will fall on the airway linings and draw water into the airway, thinning the mucus and making it easier to raise, thus making people feel better," said Dr. Norman Edelman, Senior Scientific Advisor to the American Lung Association to the association's blog. "Also, these environments are allergen-free and thus good for people with allergies affecting their lungs."

Not specifically bout ears but ya get the idea
No idea about this one but it sounds plausible - gigantic neti pot in the backyard? lol 😂

I love my swcg because it doses my pool for me daily whether I am home or not. The end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No idea about this one but it sounds plausible - gigantic neti pot in the backyard? lol 😂
No joke. I need some water in my snorkle mask to swish around when it fogs and my nose will run like Niagara for a half hour afterwards.

I can swim all day with no effects.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.