Problems with reagent R-0003

May 29, 2015
Cincinnati/ohio
I purchased a new bottle of R-0003 at the beginning of the season and the bottle is clear rather than yellow like my previous bottle and there is no change after adding my 5 drops to check for CC's. I contacted TF-test kits and (after much explaining of my issue) they sent out a replacement bottle saying that Taylor must have sent an expired bottle. However, the replacement bottle is no different. I have a few drops of my old bottle left so I know I have cc's. Anyone else have this issue or know how to rectify? I've reached out to them again in hope of a solution.

Try testing your tap water.

Try testing distilled water for CC with the old reagent.

If you measure CCs in distilled water with your old reagent, then the reagent is bad.

Last edited:
Can you have 0 cc’s with visible algae?
Plants, such as algae, create chemicals like glucose from carbon dioxide and water. Using light, the carbon in carbon dioxide oxidizes the oxide into oxygen.

6CO2 + 6H2O --> C6H12O6 + 6O2

Carbon dioxide + water--> glucose + oxygen.

This is how plants make oxygen and store energy in sugars. Most of the bulk of plants is carbon from carbon dioxide. Most of the weight of a tree comes from the air.

The carbon in carbon dioxide is in the +4 state.

The six carbon atoms in glucose are 4 atoms at an oxidation state of 0, 1 atom at at an oxidation state of -1 and 1 atom at at an oxidation state of +1.

The carbon is "reduced", which is the opposite of oxidized.

Reduced just means that the oxidation state is lower or reduced because the atom gained electrons which are negatively charged.

When chlorine oxidizes the carbon in glucose back to a +4 oxidation state, it reverts back to carbon dioxide.

This is a similar process to an animal using oxygen to burn sugars to release energy and exhale carbon dioxide.

So, chlorine reacting with algae is mostly an oxidation reaction and not a combination. Algae is mostly converted back into carbon dioxide and water.

Chlorine can combine with carbon compounds, such as methane (CH4) by replacing the hydrogen ions.

Carbon in methane is in the -4 oxidation state.

Algae mostly does not create CCs.

CCs are mostly created by compounds like ammonia where the nitrogen is in the -3 state.

For ammonia, you get combination and oxidation.

So, the CCs eventually go away, especially in sunlight where UV photons knock loose electrons from the nitrogen and make it easier for the chlorine to take them.

Active chlorine is +1, so it bonds with more negatively charged atoms, like nitrogen in the -3 state or carbon in the -4 state.

The carbon in algae has a zero net charge.

So, the reaction of chlorine with algae is mostly oxidation and not combination.

You can think of the sugar in algae as a type of fuel with calories that is ""burned" or oxidized to release the energy that was originally stored in the plant from the energy of sunlight.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.