Problems with new Zodiac Cyclonic Leaf catcher

Feb 24, 2024
Henderson Nevada (Las Vegas)
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Guys,

I fitted a Zodiac G3 in my dedicated suction fitting about a month ago and have been very happy with it so far. The next obvious purchase was a leaf catcher and I went with the Zodiac Cyclonic as seemed the appropriate choice to do with the G3.

However, from the moment I fitted it (after the first hose from the wall) I noticed the G3 was then only cleaning about half the pool and not climbing the walls as much!

It seems that the offset connections on the catcher affect the balance of the G3 and stops it going in one half of the pool and up the walls?

I set the G3 up with their flow meter and have is set to "3" which is supposed to be the optimal setting, I even tried connecting the catcher straight to the vac lock fitting but didn't help and messed with the hose weight position but nothing helped. Removed the leaf catcher from system to check and G3 was performing good again without it. Pool is kidney shaped and vac fitting about halfway down the long side.

Can anyone suggest a course of action before I return the leaf catcher and try a different one? Thinking of the Hayward W530 or 560?

Thanks

Pete

Hi Guys,

I fitted a Zodiac G3 in my dedicated suction fitting about a month ago and have been very happy with it so far. The next obvious purchase was a leaf catcher and I went with the Zodiac Cyclonic as seemed the appropriate choice to do with the G3.

However, from the moment I fitted it (after the first hose from the wall) I noticed the G3 was then only cleaning about half the pool and not climbing the walls as much!

It seems that the offset connections on the catcher affect the balance of the G3 and stops it going in one half of the pool and up the walls?

I set the G3 up with their flow meter and have is set to "3" which is supposed to be the optimal setting, I even tried connecting the catcher straight to the vac lock fitting but didn't help and messed with the hose weight position but nothing helped. Removed the leaf catcher from system to check and G3 was performing good again without it. Pool is kidney shaped and vac fitting about halfway down the long side.

Can anyone suggest a course of action before I return the leaf catcher and try a different one? Thinking of the Hayward W530 or 560?

Thanks

Pete
Because of the way your cleaner's hose sections "bayonet" together, those other brand of leaf canister may not work.

There are adapters hoses (short lengths) that can allow a Hayward canister to hook up to a Zodiac cleaner. You just have to get the right one.

The cyclone canister is probably causing too much head loss at your current pump speed. Do you have a variable speed pump? If so, you probably have to increase the baseline RPMs to get better flow. All suction cleaners are pretty sensitive to water flow so you have to optimize it.

Reactions: 1poolman1
There are adapters hoses (short lengths) that can allow a Hayward canister to hook up to a Zodiac cleaner. You just have to get the right one.

The cyclone canister is probably causing too much head loss at your current pump speed. Do you have a variable speed pump? If so, you probably have to increase the baseline RPMs to get better flow. All suction cleaners are pretty sensitive to water flow so you have to optimize it.
Not got a variable speed pump YET as cant find the Calimar in stock anywhere but thanks for the help