Problems switching over to saltwater

Aug 15, 2015
Jonesborough, TN
I have a Coleman 9'x18'x4' above ground pool. I decided to make the switch to a saltwater/sand filter system. According to the charts I should have only need 115 lbs of salt to get my system to 3000 ppm. My chlorine and pH were both a little high when I put the new pump in. I added 100# of Morton pool salt and left the pool running 24 hours. I used test strips to check the salt level and it was only at about 1.4 (240 ppm), so I added the rest of the bag (120 lbs total now) and let it run another 24 hours. The test strip is still only showing about 1.4. I checked my chlorine level today (with drops) and there was none, no yellow at all in the tube. Could the high level of chlorine I started with destroy the salt that I put in? Why would the chlorine disappear and yet the salt ppm not be higher?

Hi there :)

Are you using the Aquacheck salt test strips that have you read the color shift peek? That is the only "strip" for reading anything pool related (except borate strip) that I'd trust. You might want to consider getting a Taylor drop based test for more accuracy. Is all the salt dissolved? How many gallons is your pool?

Could the high level of chlorine I started with destroy the salt that I put in? Why would the chlorine disappear and yet the salt ppm not be higher?

No, The chlorine does not destroy the salt. chlorine disappears all the time due to organics and the Sun's UV. You still need to dose with bleach until you start your SWG.

And then you need to bring FC up to your level with bleach. Most SWG are not meant to go from zero up to normal maintenance levels. What model SWG are you using? What is your CYA?

About 4800 gallons. Here is a pic of the test strip. I even put it in the net and held it at the bottom, in case the salt hadn't entirely dissolved yet and here is what it looked like. 20170701_154646.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I've just never seen chlorine go from 5.0 to 0 in 2 days. The saltwater strips don't expire until 12/2018, maybe I should take a water sample to my local pool place and have them test it?

- - - Updated - - -

It's an Intex 1600 GPH Saltwater System & Sand Filter Pump Swimming Pool Set | 28675EG

And you are letting that strip sit in a water sample for 3-4 minutes?

I use a tiny 4oz mason jar with my pool water sample to test salt using strips like that. They need to have the tip submerged but keeping the top dry, only in about an inch of water.

Edit- I'm describing how I use the Aquacheck brand per their directions. Double check the directions on what you showed a pic of......which looks like Aquacheck.

Have another look at the directions on the salt test strip. It is important NOT to submerge more than 1 inch in water and keep the rest of the strip dry. I put an inch of water in a test vial and let it sit in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.