Problem with Stenner Pump

tjk15

Jul 21, 2015
Cedar Hill, TX
We've been having issues with our stenner pump. It just doesn't seem to want to pump bleach. We can put it in water and it works just fine, but put it back in the bleach tank and it stops working. Anyone else have this issue and if so, how did you overcome it?

If it'll pump water it should pump bleach. The specific gravity of bleach isn't enough different from water that it would cause a problem.

How old is the pump tube?
How old is the roller assembly?
Have you recently removed, replaced, adjusted, etc. the pump tube?

Make sure that the inlet fitting is tight.
Make sure that the rollers are tight against the tube.
Make sure that the tube isn't flattened.

I've seen a video of this problem before: Stenner Pump not pumping bleach - YouTube

The cause was never confirmed, but the guy did solve the problem by taking the setup apart and reassembling the pieces. It doesn't make sense to me how this can happen either. But nevertheless, it has and did. I would trim a bit from the connection lines to the pump and reassemble. If that doesn't work, a new tube, then new pickup and discharge tubing. Last resort would be new roller assembly. Hopefully you can solve it before that last step as that is when it gets expensive.

I've seen a video of this problem before: Stenner Pump not pumping bleach - YouTube

The cause was never confirmed, but the guy did solve the problem by taking the setup apart and reassembling the pieces. It doesn't make sense to me how this can happen either. But nevertheless, it has and did. I would trim a bit from the connection lines to the pump and reassemble. If that doesn't work, a new tube, then new pickup and discharge tubing. Last resort would be new roller assembly. Hopefully you can solve it before that last step as that is when it gets expensive.

That is funny. I am the guy on the video. I spoke with the manufacturer and they were confused as to why it would pump water and not bleach. In the end I ended up purchasing new fittings for the intake and return on the stenner pump (those tiny grey/white fittings) and replaced the suction hose since it had been sitting in the sun for a couple of years and got brittle. Not sure which one of those steps fixed it, but its been working just fine since. I also replaced the intake hose with a clear one instead of a black one so I can actually see if it starts pumping bleach or not.

I also replaced the intake hose with a clear one instead of a black one so I can actually see if it starts pumping bleach or not.

Most black tubing is UV resistant and safe to use outdoors in direct sunlight, but most clear or translucent tubing isn't. Also whatever tubing used needs to be chlorine compatible. PTFE is semi-transparent and chlorine resistant but costs about $5/foot.

I use a Stenner AK600 flow indicator, with black tubing, on the suction side. It's made from PMMA and that's UV rated but after 4 years in the shade it's starting to yellow. I now change my meter tube and duckbill every year, clean the salt from the injector at 6 months and replace the tubing every two years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.