Problem With Hayward Ecostar Pump Wont Run No Errors

Sep 27, 2015
Nor-Cal
I have a Hayward Ecostar Variable Speed Pump and it will no longer run but there are no errors on the drive controller. Controller acts like normal and I can select a speed but it never spins and RPMs and watts stay at 0. The only strange thing in the controller is under diagnostics menu the serial number shows 0 and the Drive Rev. show 0. I measured input voltage at the pump shows 240 volts. I am able to spin the pump shaft freely.

Also when i first came out to the system the breaker for the pump was tripped and it appears the Jandy relay that controls the pump is always on. (I am controlling the pump with a Jandy Aqualink controller in relay mode.) I also tried turning off relay mode in the pump menu and wiring direct to the breaker but no change. Maybe there was some high amperage event that welded the relay shut? Can the drive controller fail but the display on the pump shows no errors?

The EcoStar pumps are so problematic you got a good life out of it.

Maybe I will pull the controller off and see if it smells like smoke. If it is just the controller then I might buy a new controller since I haven't spent much on the pump. I'm wondering if anyone has run a variable speed pool pump off a standard industrial VFD controller? There are some pretty cheap generic VFD drivers on ebay.

I think you are throwing good money into a bad pump design by buying a replacement drive.

Let us know if you hack something.

Amazon had a warehouse deal for $360 for a new controller with prime shipping and free returns so I couldn't pass it up. If it was winter time and I could afford the pool being down for a while I would try the custom VFD controller. If it dies again then I will definitely try going the custom route.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like a large mosfet let out the magic smoke. If you look towards the top of the first picture you can see where the smoke was. Too bad everything on the bottom side of the board is potted into the case so you have to desolder all bottom side components to get the board off. Guess it is good I ordered a new controller. Too bad it will arrive July 5th right after the holiday weekend.
IMG_5205.pngIMG_5209.png

Nope! Still waiting for my 4 yr old TriStar to die. And even then, I am doubtful if the TriStar shares the same pcb with the Ecostar model. I know a member here who has successfully repaired the Ecostar drv controller by replacing the Power Hybrid IC. But in your case, the bridge rect and fets are obviously toasted! Unfortunately, the schematic diagram is nowhere to be found and it might be a huge challenge to read the markings on those burned components. On top of that, you need to make sure that no other downstream components induced the failure or it will be a catastrophe. When all said and done, I would suggest replacing the Power Hybrid IC as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.