Problem with Circupool RJ30 and solar heat.

Latest update. I tried flipping the cell, that didn't work. I tried cracking the solar valve so that some water goes to the solar panels and some goes directly back to the pool to try to lessen the amount of bubbles going through the cell. That worked intermittently. To get it to work consistently I had to close off too much of the solar water and it seemed like the solar was then not heating as it should. This lack of heating could be my just my perception instead of reality but it would always bother me if I left it this way, so I'm going to end up re-piping AGAIN.

This system was installed in accordance with the instructions from Circupool yet it doesn't play well with the solar system. Circupool has admitted that they are well aware of this problem but still don't have anything in their install instructions to warn you that the cell must be installed BEFORE the solar instead of being the the last thing in the system before returning to the pool. Because I used the two 2 inch union halves to pipe it the way the instructions told me to, I need two new union halves in order to re-pipe it. I called them to have them sent to me and they wanted to charge me full price for them. I explained that the unit does not work correctly even when installed according to their directions and that this was not my fault. They discounted the price but still charged me for them. I know circupool has a good reputation here at TFP but this just rubs me the wrong way.

Use filter pressure as a gauge to how much water is being bypassed around solar. What is the filter pressure with solar on (100%) vs solar off vs solar on part way?

Use filter pressure as a gauge to how much water is being bypassed around solar. What is the filter pressure with solar on (100%) vs solar off vs solar on part way?

Pressure with 100% solar is 19 psi. With solar off 11psi. So I started the part way experiment at 15psi, worked intermittently. Went to 14 ,better but still intermittent. To get consistency I need to be at 13psi. Don't feel that's enough to take full advantage of my solar heat. ( Again that might just be my perception)

Generally, you only need a couple of PSI rise for the appropriate amount of flow rate through the panels.

What is the height of the solar panels relative to the filter gauge?

About 8 feet above the filter gauge to the bottom of the panels, about 20 feet to the top of the panels. Don't know if this matters but there's also about 75 feet of underground pipe to get over to the panels from the filter. ( 150 feet with supply and return piping combined)

20 feet is about 9 PSI of drop so I just wanted to make sure you had enough margin to keep the VRV closed assuming you have one. So if the VRV is at 20 ft, then it should be fine with 13 PSI at the filter. The PSI rise dropped by 75% (8 to 2) which means the flow rate dropped by 50% so that should still be ok. Full flow rate with that pump was probably close to 73 GPM and half of that is 36 GPM which is more than you need.

I would run it this way for a while and see how it works before committing to plumbing changes.

Reactions: dswwpb
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.